monkey99 0 0%
ColdWave 3 11.11%
taquion 0 0%
mastone 1 3.70%
s2-speedy 10 37.04%
gster123 10 37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-09-2009 , 12:40 AM
The Maya Mountain

Pick a winner!

Y'know what? I'm having a really tough time picking a sure fire winner here. And since there isn't any prize to speak of, how about you guys getting the chance to pick your own winner!

I'll keep this open until the weekend is through.

# 2 02-09-2009 , 07:42 AM
1. gster123 - 3 points
2. s2-speedy - 2 points
3. ColdWave - 1 point

I voted for gster123 but i think this 3 way placement will be better with points then we sum them and find out 1st,2nd,3rd.

user added image

p.s If you don't agree with me continue to vote whatever user added image

# 3 02-09-2009 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber
I`m still with

1. s2-speedy
2. gster123
3. taquion

although gster123 re-renders are looking sweeeeet, there is just something really cool with s2-speedys one. And taquion`s is just really original.

I can see why mike is having a hard time - they are all really good

Last edited by tweetytunes; 02-09-2009 at 12:27 PM.
# 4 02-09-2009 , 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh this is a tough one, everybody put in good effort.

1. gster123 - Clean portrait. There's a twisted look in his eye, I like that. I already gave my crit in the other thread about the constant skin specularity and the need for sideburns and more hair.

2. s2-speedy - Little guy big personality, he certainly does come across as being a villain. I just wish there were at least a couple textures to break things up a little.

3. bigtommyb - I like the model a lot. Apart from some grainy areas, the presentation doesn't say "bad guy in his element".

- Genny
# 5 02-09-2009 , 10:11 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
For me it is
-1- Montgomery burns (gster123)
-2- Devil on throne (s2- speedy)
-3- Professor Mikurt (monkey99)

I have not included myself in this, because I could be a bit biased for some strange reason LOL.

I think that everyone wanted to finish there entries in a better way at least I wanted to and none of the entries including mine is really breathing supervillain neither in pose or setting .
Although I liked all the other entries they were not in the least a supervillain if you ask me, nice characters but no supervillains, sure you can write a backstory of ten pages but if you make a supervillain I think it should show by the very first glance.
I think Mike has the same problem when trying to judge the work we al put in our final entry, the characters you could easily identify as villains aren't finished properly and the people who have finsihed their character aren't easily identified as supervillains(at least not how i look at it)

I picked Montgomery Burns because It was an original adaptation of an existing character, I saw at the forum that he will properly finish this character with evil pose and everything I hope?

I picked the devil character for second place because he finished his character and his surroundings in time better than the rest of us at least and the render has a certain quality I like nice and soft, I also liked the fact he had drawn a concept himself and build on that .

And last but certainly not least professor Mikurt, as I said in his w.i.p. , an 11 year old kid that manages to pull this off and play with the "big boys" deserves a spot on the top 3 list even if he did follow a tutorial great work kid keep it up and try to remember us mere mortals when you've got a topjob at ILM/Pixar LOL

Good luck everyone and may the best entry or at least the most finished entry win

user added image

edit; I saw that someone actually voted on my entry, I certainly hope this wasn't the so called pity vote or is it a secret admirer?.............I wonder

# 6 02-09-2009 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
i think it's hard to decide between gster and speedy...

i think GecTs comments are spot on
and if we could vote 3 times i'd vote in the same order as Coldwave

i think being able to tell someone to be a super villain just from looking at them comes down to perspective, opinion and prejudice ("he has a goatie, so he must be evil" like that)
what might look like a shady fellow to you might be some innocent bystander and vice versa
personally i think the best villains are the ones that look like they aren't evil but have some evil atmosphere about them and the ones who were driven into insanity or evilness and just look crazy.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 02-09-2009 , 11:54 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
"i think being able to tell someone to be a super villain just from looking at them comes down to perspective, opinion and prejudice ("he has a goatie, so he must be evil" like that)
what might look like a shady fellow to you might be some innocent bystander and vice versa
personally i think the best villains are the ones that look like they aren't evil but have some evil atmosphere about them and the ones who were driven into insanity or evilness and just look crazy."

- I agree with you on most part only you are relating to much on real life situations We are talking about supervillains here from cartoons,comic books, videogames and movies, they are generally designed to look evil and again I don't think anyone of the entries has succeeded in depicting something evil, sure there are a couple of great entries with great designs but the challenge is called supervillain, not great characters, nice lighting or shading.

I agree with you however that the people who choose existing characters didn't have to show the evil part as the originals did because they are already imprinted in our brain as being evil

# 8 03-09-2009 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
Speedy you got my vote buddy. I think yours had the most character. It was definately more a villain for kids tho. Gster awsome work on yours too turned out really good.

Well done guys!

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk
# 9 03-09-2009 , 08:52 PM
I can't really choose a favorite. I mean all the renders are pretty good and it's obvious that everyone put so much effort and heart into their work. however this is my top list:
Gster123 1st, s2-speedy 2nd, ColdWave 3rd;

good luck all user added image

# 10 04-09-2009 , 10:09 AM
Wow! Thanks for the Votes guys. Appreciate it. user added image

If i had abit more time I would of worked on the texturing, but as it wasn't a primary objective I left it out. I do hope to work on it soon and will post it again when its complete.

Now I gota do my vote user added image

Thanks again.

# 11 04-09-2009 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber

Re: Pick a winner!

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I'll keep this open until the weekend is through.

Is that when the next challenge is as I cant wait to get on with another one now I have Maya working again and as I missed out on the last one.

# 12 04-09-2009 , 08:50 PM
1st-S2-Speedy
2nd-Bigtommy
3rd-Monkey99

Gster123's entry is very impressive but the challenge was to create a super villian and for me personally there was nothing that said "villian". If I were just looking at pictures on web, I would have though "cool business man" or something.

Congrats to you all for completing the competition.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 13 05-09-2009 , 02:17 AM
Perfecto are you really serious ? or you are just joking .... ?
It's about understanding , culture , story .... cool business man means that you didn't even search who was mr.Burns....

I'm not trying to be rude just telling my opinion mate user added image

# 14 05-09-2009 , 07:43 AM
The Nurb Herd
i'm gonna have to agree with coldwave here, there is no way you don't know who mr burns is!

...and if you are rating these on which looks the most like a super villian then my choice would not be speedy's devil.

He looks grumpy or slightly mischievous, but far from evil or villainous. in fact i would say he is probably the least evil looking entry. If you want to judge on which character looks the most evil, then taquion would be the clear winner.

as i said in the other thread...

for me its
1. gster123
2. s2-speedy
3. Mastone or Coldwave

I think the others come from tutorials so i'm going with these 3. but good job everyone.

# 15 07-09-2009 , 09:16 PM
Next challenge?