Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 12-08-2010 , 04:56 AM
Subscriber
I have set up set driven keys for the left hand, is there any way that I can mirror those over to the right hand?

# 32 12-08-2010 , 05:43 PM
Simply Maya OG
Double post FTL. My bad.

- Hybrid
# 33 12-08-2010 , 05:43 PM
Simply Maya OG

Hi Rhetoric Camel
This is your fictional creation, it does not have to conform to any thing as there is nothing to compare it to. if I were you I would animate it and see if you like it.........dave

I agree with dave mate....Iybrid had a point BUT as dave said its your creation. Thats what this project is about isnt it mate?? have fun and experiment mate...simple as that.

Yeh some stiching and a worn look would make it have character!!!!! BUT if you are happy with him...leave him as maybe throw a few colour patches on him...Punky Brewster style...LOL

cheers bullet

Guys, Im not trying to tell him how to make his model. Im mearly adding advice. Your quick to say that my advice doesnt matter, yet your even quicker to add your own advice that counteracts mine. Its his project, let him do what he wants, and take whoevers advice he pleases. user added image

Oh, and bullet, my name his Iybrid, not -Ibrid. I-Iybrid as in, "Hybrid". user added image

- Hybrid

Last edited by I-Iybrid; 12-08-2010 at 05:48 PM.
# 34 12-08-2010 , 07:05 PM
The thin red line
Sorry I-Iybrid did not mean to offend you and of course your opinion matters...........dave

Rhetoric Camel I think you need the grapth editor to transfere key frames

# 35 12-08-2010 , 09:18 PM
Lifetime Member
Mate there was no offence at all intended. I thought I spelt it right?? I just left out the first I and hyphen?

user added image

I was merely agreeing with Rhet as he liked it the way it was, perhaps I worded it incorrectly?

So if there was any confusion I apologise mate, my second statement is actually TIC and not a serious suggestion, hence the LOL at the end. I wasnt trying to over ride you mate.....

cheers bulletuser added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 36 13-08-2010 , 12:47 AM
Simply Maya OG
There was no affence taken, guys. The way it just came across, seemed like you were trying to pursuade Rhetoric Camel that my idea was worthless, thats all. All is good. user added image

- Hybrid
# 37 15-08-2010 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
Well a bit of a set back. I have to go back to my previous saved rig before I painted any weights, and adjust some of the joints. The knee joint was set back too far and when I rigged an IK handle on it, it bent all weird. So I'm set back quite a bit have to paint weights again, and set driven keys for finger curls, and do the IK's for the legs again.

But now I have the joints set forward in the knee. So hopefully they'll bend right now instead of bending backwards like some alien creature in a movie. Sucks being set back like this. Too bad I couldn't import atleast my set driven key finger curls into this rig.

# 38 15-08-2010 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
WOOO!!! I didn't have to do it all over, after getting frustrated with trying to paint the weights again. I'll never get used to the fact that I get the hip right then I get the knee where I want it and then I have to repaint the hip because something I edited in the knee messed with it. Pain right is the ass. :headbang:

I found that if I go to Skin>Detach Skin Option Box>Keep History
it will obviously keep the history of the detached skin, which comes in handy when you reattach the skin.
I adjusted my knee joints further forward by highlighting both knees and hitting Insert on the keyboard, and moving them forward. I then highlighted all the joints and attached smooth skin. It kept all my painted weights So I didn't have to do any of it again. So I picked up where I left off and have done the IK's for the leg!

Hopefully that's useful to someone else at some point in time.

# 39 16-08-2010 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber

# 40 16-08-2010 , 05:32 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
It's certainly not bad for a first time I remember that my first walkcycle sucked bigtime user added image

It does need quite some work though to make it look right:
I saw some popping at the knees.
The overall cycle gave me the impresion it was a big ogre instead of a happy sandman, it would also be fun if his eyes would do some secondary motion so that it looks like if he has to correct himself all the time I assume that his eyes are made up off those little boxes where you can shuffle this black circular thing with?
This will add believeability to the animation.

Remeber that it's not about how many walkcycles you have made it's about having fun and strive to make a quality walkcycle

user added image

# 41 16-08-2010 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Mastone, I appreciate the ideas and the comment.
I was following a rigging tutorial that Kurt did, here at simplymaya and I made some of my own adjustments when doing the walk cycle. Some of the things I made changes to took away from the happy cute walk that I had for him, should go and put those back to where they were, I like him all wobbly like a baby trying to run.
You're right about the knees popping though, I've been having trouble with those knees since I started rigging!! I don't even know what to do to try to fix them. I did what I could and can't seem to get them any better. I will work a bit more on this walk cycle.
After this I'm a bit confused on how to actually make him walk and move instead of just walk in one place. But I guess I should just tackle the walk cycle before I go any further.

# 42 16-08-2010 , 09:26 PM
Lifetime Member
He's so cuuuttteeee!!! Well done mate...I can only really see the right knee pop...the left one must be in shade? Looks good but mate...really does.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 43 17-08-2010 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Bullet, I appreciate the kind comment!

Worked on his walking a bit more, still having a bit of trouble with the knee. And yes Bullet the knee problem is on both knees, but you can't see it on the left one due to the angle.

New walk cycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPH_vgHClTs

# 44 17-08-2010 , 01:06 AM
Lifetime Member
Still looks cool...loks like one cool cat LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 45 17-08-2010 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
hahha, he does look like a smooth pimp huh? hahhahah

I was trying to give him more hop to his step and less sway, but making him hop when he steps proved to be more difficult than I thought. Using the root I tried to lift him up but it just stretched him more and put him on his tip toes, and then a little bit higher up he was much higher than I wanted him to be off the ground... maybe I'll go in and mess around with it some more, maybe I can figure out a way around that issue or something.