Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-02-2003 , 02:44 AM

Input curve & the revolved surface

hello...i'm new to Maya & to this forum... just looked through the help and other questions, but couldn't find what i was looking for.

how do i move my input curve away from the revolved surface, while keeping the relationship btwn the curve and the surface?

i want to see the input curve moved away from the surface, but still be able to adjust the surface shape using the curve.

help??

crystal

# 2 24-02-2003 , 04:30 AM
Subscriber
I think you have to do it the other way around.

You can move the shape away from the input curve, and still being able to make adjustments to the shape via the input curve.

But I guess you want to be able to move the curve away... hmmm..

I don't think you can do that, but that's just what I think.

Hope this helps.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 3 25-02-2003 , 08:23 PM
Don't know if this would work or not cause I'm also new, but could you put the curve into its own layer and then turn off visibility on it to see the shape without the curve. Seems like that would work in theory.

"It's supposed to be hard, if it was easy, everyone would do it."
# 4 25-02-2003 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
Yep, those are two things you can do. Why do you want to move the curve away form the object, though? If it's so that it will not be seen, just delete it. Your revolved surface will remain intact. Of course, if you plan on animating the curve to make the revolved surface deform during animation, you need to keep it. This is where Snich's solution would come in handy. I don't think you need to worry about putting it in its own layer, though. You can just Ctrl + h to hide it.

# 5 26-02-2003 , 01:30 AM

it works, thanks!

thank you all very much for your help...

i tried undseth's way, and it is exactly what i wanted to see.

i had my mind set on moving the curve away, i didn't even try moving the shape away from the curve... silly me..