Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-04-2003 , 10:26 AM

PROBLEM with EDGES !

Hello friends!

Well, I am trying to get a simple car mesh with lights, front side. I´ve done the following steps:

1. Create a PolyCube
2. Convert Poly --> to SubDiv
3. SubDiv Surfaces --> Full Crease Edge/Vertex

Question 1:
Is it possbile to set the strength of the crease per hand ?
--> I mean, can I set different values ?

Question 2:
On the images below you can see the strange distortion on the edges from the lights.

How can I avoid that ?

user added image
user added image

thank you soo much for helping me,
bernhard

# 2 19-04-2003 , 11:02 AM
Subscriber
As far as i know, you can't manually set the strength of a crease. I have been annoyed by that too user added image . You can do a partial crease Edge/Vertex but that is exactly half-way between full crease and no crease. A way that I have used is to refine the mesh (add some more edges close to the one to be creased) then do a partial crease on the edge - it will come out sharper. You need to play around a bit to find what works best.

Maybe someone knows a better way to do this?

About your question on the distortion... I can't think of a simple way of avoiding that. I'm not exactly sure what's gone wrong... perhaps it would help if you could upload a pic of the wireframe.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP

Last edited by -<{ JB }>-; 19-04-2003 at 11:06 AM.
# 3 19-04-2003 , 11:53 AM

Here are the Wireframe-Images

Well, I don´t know if there is a problem on the poly-model. But I don´t think so. I have no clue how I can avoid the distortions on the edges - here are the Wireframe Images.

1st: The Poly
user added image

2nd: The SubDiv
user added image

thx for helping me,
bernhard

# 4 19-04-2003 , 04:22 PM
The Maya Mountain
You might could try adding a slight bevel to the corners that have this problem.