Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 151 29-01-2012 , 01:17 PM
@bullet: All textures in texture maps are rasterized, so AI vector graphics would not prevent pixalization unfortunately as in the end they would be converted to a pixel map.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 29-01-2012 at 07:59 PM.
# 152 29-01-2012 , 06:29 PM
Lifetime Member
Thank you everybody. Found the cause of my jagged edges in bump maps. I can't believe it myself but I've been a real dufus. Try using a sharp edged brush rather than the bloody pencil in PS user added image

# 153 30-01-2012 , 12:15 AM
Lifetime Member
what you are doing will be fine mate...as you say increase your file size then maybe when finished reduse it to 4 k and you wont notice

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 154 01-02-2012 , 07:20 PM
Lifetime Member

Brain twister

While doing the texture for the two ailerons of the tail I found something that has me completely stumped. It has twisted my brain as it just does not seem logical.

Why is "top left" where it is on the UV map?

I've checked countless times and there are no reversed normals.

Attached Thumbnails
# 155 01-02-2012 , 07:50 PM
The thin red line
How did you create the wings Pixal...............dave

Edit:turn the texture of in the UV editor(1) then click on the blue square that has a empty square behind it(2) then post pic please

Attached Images

Last edited by daverave; 01-02-2012 at 07:57 PM.
# 156 01-02-2012 , 08:05 PM
One of the UV shells is flipped. Check the boxes in Dave's screen grab and the flipped shell will be red while the unflipped shell will be blue. The one labeled as "2" is the one that will show the direction of the normals in the shell as well as if shells and UV's are overlapping.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-02-2012 at 08:07 PM.
# 157 01-02-2012 , 08:24 PM
Lifetime Member
This is where it gets interesting. No red UVs.
@dave, I started with a cube. When the one side was done I adjusted the pivot point and did a normal duplicate. I changed the x scale to -1 on the duplicate.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 158 01-02-2012 , 08:38 PM
Something is flipped!

Try freezing the transforms on those objects.

Try going to the lighting tab and unchecking two sided lighting.

Something has to be flipped. If you have duplicated by scaling by -1 and do not freeze transforms then the normals will seem to be in the correct direction but will be flipped. This is where I am placing my bet.

# 159 01-02-2012 , 09:04 PM
Lifetime Member
what Rick said...I had the same trouble with my Spitfire

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 160 01-02-2012 , 09:06 PM
Lifetime Member
Did the freeze transformations and received a warning but Maya still did it:

// Warning: Freeze transform with negative scale will set the 'opposite' attribute for these nodes: polySurfaceShape771 //

Turned double sided lighting off and no change.

I think my mind has flipped user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 161 01-02-2012 , 09:21 PM
Lifetime Member
I exported the two wings as an obj and reimported it. The imported wing now clearly showed that the one side has flipped normals. After doing a mesh-> separate.

Thanks dave, bullet, ctbram.

Attached Thumbnails
# 162 01-02-2012 , 09:46 PM
The thin red line
I have come across these problems before I now use the mirror more were I can you just dont get any of these problems...............dave

# 163 01-02-2012 , 11:09 PM
Lifetime Member
I had trouble with mirror dave...havent used it since...but as long as it works.

I have had that warning before....its what Rick was on about. These things are sent to drive us insane LOL. I have had exactly the same trouble though I could clearly see the bottom was flipped as it was black...you should see this when you uncheck 2 sided lighting??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 164 01-02-2012 , 11:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Display your surface normals....if they are inverted then reverse the normals on the object. If they arent then just flip the shell.

Sometimes issues like this can also occur when you dupe an object and reverse it along a -x axiz or - z axis. When you freeze the transform Maya will warn you about negative faces. You need to go into the attribute Editor and turn off opposite. this will then cause the mesh to flip again and you'll need to again reverse the surface normals.

Two sided lighting will cause the object to go black if it is off therefore telling you the object is flipped.

Jay

# 165 02-02-2012 , 05:24 AM
Lifetime Member
@dave - I normally use mirror gemometry but after watching one tut I thought I'd give the scale -1 over an axis a try. Boy did it bite me.
@bullet - with or without double sided lighting it was displaying ok. As you said. Maya every now and then gives us these little challenges to test our sanity.
@jay - Thanks. I'll be going thru all the sections and display the normals and correct them if needed.
But first thing on the agenda today though is a cleanup of a different kind. I left a couple windows open last night and as luck would have it we had a WICKED sand storm in the early morning hours.