Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-01-2005 , 04:47 AM

boolean problem

hi all. i was following the video by Kurt on the Cartoon Dog. I finished the first 2 part of the video which basically models the dog in nurbs. but then when i converted it into polygons and did the boolean union operatives, the two polygons just simply disappear. what's going on? Thanks.

# 2 06-01-2005 , 09:51 PM
Technical Director
Yeah booleans can be a bit tempermental. Just make sure that the mesh is intersecting each other.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 07-01-2005 , 04:15 AM
hm it still didn't work. here's a screenshot. thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-01-2005 , 07:11 AM
Boolean modeling in Maya is messy but I have experimented with them quite a bit and have found a few work-arounds. First, make sure that all meshes that you are working with are cleanly built.
Second, make sure that both objects that you are using do intersect each other FULLY.
Third, sometimes deleting the history on the objects works as well so if you do not need to back track on them, give that a try if you are still having problems with disapearing geometry.
One last note...I have found that performing Boolean operations containing a Plane can sometimes be messy, depending on how complicated the other object you are trying to merge with is. If you run into problems with this, try extruding the faces of the plane out a small distance (turning the plane into an object), move your second object so that it intersects with the first and see what that gives you! Hope that helps!

# 5 08-02-2005 , 07:54 PM
Sometimes the problem just doesn't seem to have a solution. When that happens, I just merge the 2 pieces of geometry manually by deleting faces as needed then using "combine" then merging vertices between the two combined geometries. It takes a few extra minutes but it does work. user added image

# 6 18-01-2006 , 06:39 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NextDesign
Yeah booleans can be a bit tempermental. Just make sure that the mesh is intersecting each other.

YES IT WORKS i had the same proplem too.