Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-11-2002 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber

Maya "Swatches"

Yes, I finally got it, and this is as far as I know THE way to generate a swatch-file for your newly-created shader. user added image

This swatch file is handy to represent your shaders in your visor or your hypershade by picture.

In hypershade:
1) Save your shader:
File-->Export Selected Network

This shader will be given a default image, which has the name "maya" on it.

2) Make a render

In renderview:
3) View --> Grab Swatch To Hypershade/Visor
Select an area of your render...
...and move this pic onto your default image in hypershade (and probably visor too?) with your middle mouse button.

Maya will then assign a catalogue under your shader catalogue, containing the new swatch file, which tells maya how the shader looks like in you shader-catalogues.

(!) If you render out a BIG image for your swatch, then you'll end up with a BIG swatch file.
I noticed that maya's basic shaders has a swatch-file-size of about 17 Kb. It looks that 100x100 pixels renderings give the same file size as maya's basic swatches.

Last edited by undseth; 25-11-2002 at 12:37 PM.
# 2 25-11-2002 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
Nice tip. I'm just getting into shaders, so this will improve my knowledge even more!