Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-06-2007 , 04:59 PM

Simple modeling problem... please help!

Hi! I need some help with a model I'm trying to do of a logo.

I need to turn this:

user added image

into this:

user added image

It looks OK like that, but if you zoom in on that upper portion, the two surfaces on top and the bottom are not exactly aligned to the vertical wall. You can see it in particular with the lower surface... it's sticking out:
user added image

What I did to create that upper portion is I drew a curve around the basic shape, duplicated it and raised it, lofted the curves, then closed the top and bottom by using the planar tool. Well, now I realize that the planar tool doesn't really close the area accurately... Is there a way I can close it properly? Or is there another method I should use to create this shape? I tried doing it with polygons, and I guess it will work, but I need to cut lots and lots of edges into it in order to make it appear smooth.

Thanks for any help in advance!

# 2 17-06-2007 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
mamikapapo, quick thought. Did you close your curve before you duplicated it and lofted it? If you close the curve before you duplicate and loft, then it should be closed when it is lofted.

I believe anyway!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 3 17-06-2007 , 06:34 PM
No, all I did was snap to vertex the last vertex with the first. How do I close it?

Thank you!!! =)

# 4 17-06-2007 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
I am using 8.5 and under SURFACES MENU Go to EDIT CURVES and the OPEN/CLOSE. Make sure that both of the open and close vertices's and right on top of one another. You will notice it may distort alittle, but adjust it oonce again and it should work.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 5 17-06-2007 , 06:48 PM
Thank you! Trying it now... I'm using 8.5 as well.

# 6 17-06-2007 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
I am glad I could help. Should save you alot of time, from what you said.

# 7 17-06-2007 , 06:56 PM
Hmm... it didn't work. I still have the same problem. Something is jutting out just like in the last picture above.

I closed the curve, duplicated it, raised it, lofted the two curves, then I selected the curve on top, planar, then selected the curve at the bottom, planar.

Do you think there's something else I'm doing wrong?

# 8 17-06-2007 , 07:13 PM
Since you can't get the loft thing to work the way you need (and I'm kind of a newbie with surfaces), you could detete the top and sides and just keep the bottom face. Then convert the bottom face to a polygon. Then extrude the polygon up to the desired thickness.

Better yet, just copy the bottom face and then do all I said with the copy. That way you can continue to try and figure out how to make the surface method work.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 9 17-06-2007 , 07:15 PM
If you convert the bottom or top face to a poly and extrude, afterwards you can bevel the edges if you want.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 10 18-06-2007 , 01:31 AM
Hi, I just got home a little while ago and played around with your nurbs method. I created a curve, closed it, then did a planar. Then I selected the curve and duplicated it and raised it up. I did a planar on the second curve. then I selected both the top curve and the bottom curve and did a loft. I got the same results you did. However, when I rendered it out, it matched beautifully but in the work space, it was all weird like the picture you posted. Did you post a screen shot or a render? If it's a screen shot, try rendering it out to see if it's still like that. If so, your only option may be converting one of the planar surfaces to a polygon and then extruding.

Sorry but I don't think I can be of much more help than that. Good luck though!

Exceed Expectations!
# 11 19-06-2007 , 06:26 PM
Hey guys! Sorry I was busy and wasn't able to check up on my post til now. Anyway, I tried it out, and the convert to poly thing worked great! Thank you!

By the way, the pictures I have posted were images that have been rendered and not my workspace. Maybe it has something to do with render/set nurbs tessellation? I'll try it out next time.

Again, thanks for all your help!