Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-10-2007 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber

How to build oversized eyes

Hi again.

For some reason, I've been unable to post the illustration I had. I'm therefore including the direct link to the example I'd like to share.

https://www.3dtotal.com/home2/gallery...em.asp?id=2819

This image illustrates what I'm trying to achieve. The eyes on this model are oversized, giving her the cartoon look. When it comes time to creating blend shapes, I'm running into issues with creating a clean blink. Parts of the eyeball stick out from behind the eyelid. I'd like to know what is the best method to create such a model with large eyes?
If there is an experienced modeler who can offer a suggestion or even a solution, I would really appreciate hearing from you on the best approach to modeling a face with these characteristics.
To sum it up, how would you go about building this face with those eyes?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

# 2 06-10-2007 , 07:41 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

if you use an in-between target blend shape it should sort out your problem.

In a nutshell you should have 2 target blend shapes, full blink and half blink. Select the half blink, Ctrl select the full blink and finally Ctrl select your model. Now create your blend shape makng sure that the In-between box is checked in the Create Blend Shape Options.

I hope that makes sense,

Mat.

# 3 06-10-2007 , 07:50 PM
I actually think the eyes in the example that you've given look a bit strange - they look too wide to me. I know what they're going for, kind of the big innocent baby eyes - but I don't think they've pulled it off - it just looks like her eyes are going to fall out the side of her head...

I think you just need to make sure you decide on the size of the eye first and then use a sphere as a temporary stand in, while you model the geometry around it. when it comes to animating the eyelid, i'd guess that a blend shape would ensure that you don't have parts of the eye sticking out - if you do then it's a case of adding more geometry. at the end of the day, when you're eyes are open, the lids are bunched up, so it makes sense that you would need more geometry when you close them.

er... hope that helps.

# 4 06-10-2007 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber

re: big eyes

Hi arran.

I appreciate your suggestion. I agree with what you're saying as far as needing more geometry when creating the eyelid for the blink. I'm using the same photo as in the link, it's just that from the angles you see her eyes, I'm thinking that perhaps the eyeball itself isn't round, but rather scaled in and more of a flat surface. This too I'm thinking may make it easier to create the blink?
The solution you offered is practical. From my perspective, I'm still not sure of all the tricks due to not being an animator, so this is proving to be more of a challenge for me.
I'll give your suggestion a go and see how it works out.

Thanks again for your time.

# 5 07-10-2007 , 03:08 PM
Subscriber

re: matts comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try shortly.

Cheers.