Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 02-03-2008 , 11:41 PM
Jr.Who
About done with the first pawn (unless someone points out something about it). The poly count is at 1098. It's weird working on something unsymmetrical, I keep taking it the cautious way, but then it doesn't look right. I'm not going to get too worried about the seams, just gonna hope that texturing covers it up a bit. user added image

Got a friend coming over tonight, but I'm gonna try to finish the other 2 (or just 1) before the night ends.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 03-03-2008 , 12:16 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
1 Down 8 to go user added image

Though I have to be honest (and I think your know this) but the model is pretty sloppy. I mean no offense, but allot of the edges aren't straight, and your have tons of creases running up the model. Now like you said your not really bothered by it, so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, Looking forward to seeing the other pieces.

Good luck, and have fun user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 18 03-03-2008 , 02:17 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Mayaniac
1 Down 8 to go user added image

Though I have to be honest (and I think your know this) but the model is pretty sloppy. I mean no offense, but allot of the edges aren't straight, and your have tons of creases running up the model. Now like you said your not really bothered by it, so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, Looking forward to seeing the other pieces.

Good luck, and have fun user added image

The edges are supposed to be going in at the top, so that might be what looks weird. This marble is not smooth, too, so I don't expect them to be perfect. A ton of seams? I see 2 big ones, and the more I look at the pawn, they're supposed to be there.

Still, there was supposed to be a couple more details, but there's no way I can do them without ZB. user added image

# 19 03-03-2008 , 10:28 PM
Jr.Who
Finished with the 3 pawns. Together, their total poly count is 3224. I think I might start working on the rooks (gonna make 2 different versions) tonight, as they should be very easy.

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 03-03-2008 , 10:34 PM
you didn't actually take the time to model all three of those, did you? i'd think taking one, duplicating it, and then manipulating them using a lattice would be the best way to do it.

Accept no substitutions.
# 21 03-03-2008 , 10:37 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by NeoStrider
you didn't actually take the time to model all three of those, did you?

LOL, no way! I keep duping them as I go, that way if I screw up really bad, I have something to go back to.

# 22 04-03-2008 , 04:47 AM
Jr.Who
Finished with the rook. I was looking at a couple of them, and they look exactly the same, so I'm just gonna stick with one model for now. The poly count for this one is 656.

I've got 2 weeks left with the modeling part of this project and Brawl comes out this Sunday, so I will most likely extend the deadline. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 05-03-2008 , 01:29 AM
Jr.Who
I thought that the knight was going to be a lot harder, but I got it finished tonight. The poly count is at 1039.

The bishop, queen, and king are basically big pawns with some adjustments, so they shouldn't be too hard.

Seems like I'm going to finish this one early, so I'm thinking of modeling a chess table and a pair of chairs.

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 13-03-2008 , 04:21 AM
Jr.Who
Sorry for the extremely slow update. Brawl is amazing and has been keeping me very busy. Finished off all the pieces in the last couple of days. The poly count on the bishop is at 1104, the queen is at 1726, and the king is at 1394.

Need to get this finished on Friday. I sure hope that a table and chairs aren't that hard. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 13-03-2008 , 04:27 AM
Looking pretty good.

Do the actual pieces have the edges in the up right areas (not the edges but the bits invbetween (hope that makes sense!)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 26 13-03-2008 , 07:03 AM
Jr.Who
Could you circle that part in something like PS for me?

# 27 13-03-2008 , 04:54 PM
Here you go

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 28 13-03-2008 , 08:18 PM
Jr.Who
Yeah, those are supposed to be there. I'm not too worried, as the texture should hide them, anyway.

# 29 13-03-2008 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
these are really starting to look great jr who.
Can't wait to see this project when its all done! and as you start to model the heads for each piece too. I guess thats an important part haha.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 30 13-03-2008 , 09:25 PM
Umm... why are they supposed to be there if the texture should hide them...?