Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 25-08-2004 , 12:39 AM
The Maya Mountain
I highly recomend the Poly Head video tutorial series we have here at SM. Along with the Ear tutorial. I think those two should really help you wrap your mind around the modeling.

# 17 25-08-2004 , 01:05 AM
I've got a problem with downloading the tuts here. I tried to DL the free tut of the Cartoon Dog and it got to alllllmost the very end and then my computer crashed. So I had to restart. Haven't tried it again cos it happened twice. Do you guys have a way I can put together my own DVDr with all of the tuts I want on it and I pay for the production of the disc? Or send you guys a blank disc and you put the tuts on it I need? Funds are a little tight right now but I'll be able to get those tuts soon. Anywho, any other places with great tutorials that'll get me by til then? I've tried the Hobbit Guy's tutorial and that one hurt my head something fierce. Sorry, Dragon. Thanks again for all of your help, y'all!

Russell

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 18 25-08-2004 , 01:10 AM
The Maya Mountain
Yep, we have an Add to DVDr function. user added image

# 19 25-08-2004 , 01:13 AM
Cool then! I know what my next goody's gonna be when the wife wants some new jewelry.. :devious: Thanks Mike!

Russell

Russell Bolding
# 20 31-08-2004 , 11:02 PM
Subscriber
Hey man,
I went through the same problem as you did. I bought different books and it doesnt help me. I learned how to use the tools but I didn't learn how to use it really with it. And books make everything freaking BORING!!! I kept trying and things always went wrong and I always wanted to quit seeing how much better ppl are better than myself and they still ARE! lol
But ever sicne I found this site, my learning maya has been accelerating pretty quickly user added image I just toggle around with what i see in there, and if i don't understand what its purpose, i ask questions.
Just do the tutorials, I've gone through the hassle. user added image

# 21 10-09-2004 , 07:48 PM
I haven't replied to this post in a while so ifigured I'd take a stab at it again. Guys and ladies, the update in everything is I do feel much better about all of this. Not to be mean but I'm so far having a fantastic day as my wife went off to Dallas, TX in a training seminar for Epson (she sells the shiznit out of printers here in Sioux Falls which is why she got invited to go) and I have the house basically to myself. She won't be back til Sunday night and I'm elated. I am working on my project again and I feel confident that I'll get a lot done in the next two days. I've gotten the Poly head tut but haven't had the time to use it yet. I will before October when I'm sure I'll need it to start modelling my more human looking characters. I finally realize that when you model, whether it's a car, a person, an ass, or a telephone pole, you don't need to use the Smooth tool until you feel safe and happy enough with the low poly version of an object. It has saved me a lot of grief since I learned that trick.

Also, I've learned your characters don't have to look perfect... just perfect enough for the artist making them. I love my guy now (Crae McShae) and as soon as I can figure out the best way to put clothes on him(either by Cloth in Maya or by modelling clothes and wrinkles in clothes and creases and such) I'll be ready to move on to my next character and the next. I'm excited.

I want my first short film to do well and get a lot of exposure and win awards and money and all that other mess that comes with a great film and I know it's not going to be quick or easy but I can wait as long as anyone else can. I don't know many 35 year old men out there just learning and getting involved in 3D or Maya and I don't mind being the first if I am. But for me, afterall of this time I've invested and money and patience, failure is not an option. In the immortal words of Tim Allen.. "Never give up.. never surrender!" Oh yeah... and "To infinity and beyond!"... :p

Russell

Russell Bolding