Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-07-2011 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber

Maya laggy when animating texture color gain

hey guys

bit of a weird one. i have a scene with a few meshes in with textures, the meshes are under 10 tri's but the tetxures are mostly 1K with alpha.

in order to darken these textures in the viewport, i've been animating a channel which drives the "color offset" of the texture file.

unfortunately as soon as this particular attribute gets used, maya get's so slow in the viewport that it becomes unusable to animate.

this is alleviated a bit by changing the viewport texture to a stupidly low resolution (32x32), kinda makes it hard to work with though, and still isnt fast enough to animate with.

it seems some of those "colour balance" attributes on a texture file shoudlnt really be touched, as shifting stuff on the image in real time in maya doesnt seem to work too well.

so i guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions for massively imrpooving the performance in this very specific case

OR

does anyone know a way to darken down a material / texture in real time in the viewport. ive looked through all material and texture attr's and i cant see anything.

oh and i cant use layered shaders or anything clever like that, it HAS to be one material with one texture.

thanks