Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 03-07-2016 , 02:51 PM

Painting / Texturing Noob

Hi All,

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to texturing, painting etc. I was wondering if anyone more experienced can help me out.

I downloaded an .obj file from sketchfab, it had no textures, bump / normal, specular etc. So my question is how would be the best way to go about texturing?

Would I be better off painting the model based on reference images of the creature or would I be better off trying to texture the creature using textures?

And is there any program I should use, I prefer using Maya but have got a copy of Mudbox. And does anyone know of any good tutorials for beginners, I dont think I am using the right terms when searching youtube or google as all that comes up is how to unwrap the model or how to use textures that already exist.

Many thanks with this

# 2 04-07-2016 , 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
If you have Mudbox, definitely use that instead of doing it in Maya.

This video seems pretty comprehensive for new users. If you’re only interesting in painting textures, he starts talking about that at 27:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3qZwt5l3xE

Not quite sure what you mean when you asked this question though:

“Would I be better off painting the model based on reference images of the creature or would I be better off trying to texture the creature using textures?”

- Genny
# 3 04-07-2016 , 02:43 PM

Not quite sure what you mean when you asked this question though:

“Would I be better off painting the model based on reference images of the creature or would I be better off trying to texture the creature using textures?”

Oh lol sorry, I seem to be speaking in riddles haha, no wonder my searches are giving me different results. I meant would I be better off getting textures from some download sites and try to make my own in photoshop based on some reference images I have of the creature / model I downloaded from sketchfab. I hope that is making sense user added image

But thanks for the video and help, Ill definitely have a go this later. I was looking at some videos / training on this site, I would be interested in buying some of them, but maybe at a later time. thanks again

# 4 24-08-2016 , 11:10 PM

is there a must have texturing software?

Hello to All,
I am just getting back into maya 2016 and have not fully explored texturing.... but can anyone tell me if I should be looking at substance painter for texturing? in the past texturing has always been tough for me at least and perhaps the new Maya 2016 handles it better. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.
Dab