Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-03-2007 , 02:11 AM

extra faces on edges after extruding

on several occasions ive noticed after extruding faces, something happens where additional faces are created on edges. this doesnt happen all the time but when it does i think there's also dual vertices on bordering corners.

if i had to guess, it has something to do with the normals.

i normally delete the extra faces and merge the vertecies.

does anyone know why bthis happens and if deleting and merging solves the problem completely?

# 2 25-03-2007 , 07:35 AM
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question correctly so forgive me if I'm off base here (just wanna help if I can). In the "Edit Polygons" menu set, or it may be "Edit Mesh" depending on what version of Maya you have, there is an option somewhere that says "Keep faces together". Make sure it is checked.

Hope this helps.

# 3 26-03-2007 , 06:11 AM

yes

i know this problem. if you cut faces on polys and extrude alot often large parts are doubled very strange problem i know too.
i think if you work excact when cutting, only hit edges select very carefully, to avoid unwanted backface stuff, and select faces by the small point in the middle only, it doesnt happen so often. but yes i know this problem very strange.
deleting and merging helps yes but i wonder why this happens at all this thing. i have it in maya 5.

Last edited by delesh; 26-03-2007 at 06:13 AM.
# 4 26-03-2007 , 07:08 AM
i think we're doing something wrong because it was happening in maya 8, then i upgraded to maya 8.5 and it was still there. if it's a bug then im sure it would have been fixed by now.

# 5 26-03-2007 , 07:28 AM
I think I know what you mean, and if I'm right, it's just a matter of being careful. user added image

When you extrude faces, MAYA does create new faces edges and vertices, so you can pull the faces out and not affect the connecting faces, because they're not sharing the verts and edges any more.

Sometimes what happens is when you extrude, perhaps you deselect unintentionally and on instinct extrude again. This is what I personally call a "double extrude." (<--I'm charging two cents from anyone who uses that term from now on, hehe. Kidding of course user added image ). When you extrude a face/faces, the new faces edges and verts are created even if you don't scale, pull or rotate the original face you extruded. So if you do it again, you have twice as many as you wanted.

Try it to see what I mean: Extrude a face and click anywhere else in the screen to deselect. Then grab that face and pull it out with the normal move tool, it will still be pulled out without affecting the adjoining faces, meaning that new faces and vertices and edges were already created

Another problem might be your mouse is too sensitive and when you click the button on the shelf, it does a double extrude. Now this was longer than I thought, but, I hope it helps. user added image

# 6 26-03-2007 , 06:04 PM
thats probably what it is there. i probably click away and later extrude again. it would make sense if the faces were automatically created regardless of whether you edit.

# 7 26-03-2007 , 06:30 PM
Yeah, most people starting out have that problem. user added image I remember it was the first thing my instructor warned the class about. Happy Modeling!