Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 01-08-2007 , 11:43 PM
thanks minstrel - i'll give that a go.

t1ck - cheers mate - I started modelling a couple of smaller objects - a card reader and answer machine. I think I'll just add things a couple at a time - i don't want to just lose interest when it gets to texturing.

internet is a bit intermittant on my laptop so i'll post them in a bit.

# 32 01-08-2007 , 11:53 PM
here we go. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 02-08-2007 , 01:49 AM
all looking good from here user added image
are you going to dirty up the phone as well?

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 34 02-08-2007 , 03:35 AM
yeah - i want to, though right after i finished modeling, the phone was replaced with the exact same model, so the one in the office is looking kind of new at the moment.

making things look dirty is something i definitely need to work on - partly cos i'm still pretty crap at photoshop.:blush:

# 35 02-08-2007 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
I really like the way these are looking. I would agree that you should dirty up the textures a little bit, but I also no it's not the easiest thing to do when you're new to photoshop. keep up the good work.

# 36 03-08-2007 , 02:35 AM
thanks Rhetoric Camel user added image

# 37 04-08-2007 , 11:49 AM

Originally posted by arran

Man pls give me some tips how to make so smooth edges ... what is the technique ... because I try to use polygon Cube and split polys and arrange them but it is HELL... to get nice and clean smooth mesh like yours ... any tips user added image I really spend about an hour of concidering how to make those and i can't get anything on my mind :headbang:

P.S It's about the Phone's body

# 38 04-08-2007 , 01:12 PM
Nice going arran,

Theres a great texturing pdf that you can get from Leigh van der Byl,

Heres the links

https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...&threadid=6648

https://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7681

https://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11053

https://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17631

If you want e-mail me as ive got all the bits in with pics and i'll send it to you (also the invite is for anyone else whos interested) the link is on one of the pages within the links but it took me a while to find it!

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 39 04-08-2007 , 01:21 PM
nice one Steve - thanks mate! At work at the moment, but as soon as i get a chance I'll have a good read through that.
cheers!user added image user added image

coldwave - hmmm... usually I just make the basic shape of the model and then start using the split polygon tool to add detail. Then, depending on where the object is in the scene and the level of detail that i want, I use the bevel tool to soften the edges, thoough often i have to rebuild certain areas as bevel can really mess up your geometry.

I actually probably use the bevel tool too much as I think I tend to over model things.

once i have the object made I usually go back over it using the soften / harden tool to fix the normals.

if you are having problems modelling a specific object coldwave, feel free to post a pic here or in a new thread and I'll do my best to help work it out. user added image

Last edited by arran; 04-08-2007 at 01:25 PM.
# 40 04-08-2007 , 01:28 PM

nice one Steve - thanks mate! At work at the moment, but as soon as i get a chance I'll have a good read through that.

No probs mate, lookig at it your prabably best off droping me an e-mail as its a lot more descriptive as its got all the pics in it with some, quite frankly, storming examples of what shes describing, its a must if you ask me for anyone starting out texturing (which I count as one! too!!)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 41 04-08-2007 , 08:01 PM

coldwave - hmmm... usually I just make the basic shape of the model and then start using the split polygon tool to add detail. Then, depending on where the object is in the scene and the level of detail that i want, I use the bevel tool to soften the edges, thoough often i have to rebuild certain areas as bevel can really mess up your geometry.

I actually probably use the bevel tool too much as I think I tend to over model things.

once i have the object made I usually go back over it using the soften / harden tool to fix the normals.

if you are having problems modelling a specific object coldwave, feel free to post a pic here or in a new thread and I'll do my best to help work it out. user added image

I never use at this moment bevel tool and sotfen / harden tool ... i really must check them out ... and here is the modeling problem that i have ..

-> https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=27130

# 42 04-08-2007 , 08:30 PM
the bevel tool will really help round off your edges - i usually just apply the bevel and then open up the history and play with the offset and segment options. As I said though you may need to think about your wireframe when using bevel as it can cause some problems. Try practising with it on a simple object first.

the soften harden tool basically just decides which way your normals are facing - normals kind of help decide how light hits your object. by selecting components on your object - such as faces, edges,etc - and adjusting the angle of the normals under the options, you can make a fairly low poly object appear smoother than it actually is. make a primitive sphere, open the soften harden normals options and try setting the normals to hard and then soft and you'll see what i mean.

hope this helps a little bit...user added image

# 43 06-08-2007 , 03:09 PM
bit of an update - i've modelled a couple of monitors. still need to do a bit of work on the one on the left.

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 11-08-2007 , 04:35 AM
No updates on this I'm afraid - my laptop decided to finally pack up on me last week. I took it in for repair and they replaced the hard drive and i'm able to get it to come on, but it's still having the same issues that it had before i took it in, so I'm just worried that it's only going to pack up again.

Basically, sometimes when you turn it on it starts up fine, but other times the LED clock won't come on, it makes a popping sound where the hard drive LED is, the sound is choppy when it comes on and the DVD drive won't open. If I unplug it and use a paper clip to manually eject and close the disc drive than the next time i turn it on it starts up fine, but when I shut it down and turn it back on it has the same problems. Not fun. I've already lost a ton of stuff - I'm just hoping that the back up discs of my maya work are ok...

I'm sneaking out on my lunch break today to take it back to the repair shop.... so it may be a while before I have another update.

# 45 11-08-2007 , 12:46 PM
bad luck arran, it sounds like you got the dud of the batch with your laptop user added image
Hope you get it sorted and get back on track with your objects and scene as they are coming together well user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net