Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 13-12-2002 , 12:21 PM
Subscriber

Picking up objects

O.K. So I rigged my character using the rig out of the 'Character Rigging & Animation' book. Now I want to get my character to pick up a glass from a table - how the hell do you do that? Parent the object to the hand?

Next puzzle, how do you get the character to put the object back down again, you cannot unparent it since it it wont be parented in the earlier part of the animation. Or can you keyframe parenting so that it is on in one part of the animation and then off in another part?

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 13-12-2002 , 12:53 PM
SM Alumni
hey gazz, cant give a detailed answer right now as I'm at work, but basically use animated point constraints with locators(you'll need to mess around with the pivot points on the hand and the glass to get the right results). I think theres a tut on the A|W site that explains this pretty well... I'll see if i can find the link

# 3 13-12-2002 , 12:58 PM
SM Alumni

# 4 13-12-2002 , 02:47 PM
Few diffrent ways you can do it, I just make copys one attached to the hand and the other free. When the character is about to pick the object up at the exact moment the ojects line up I keyframe the visablity off and on.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 13-12-2002 , 04:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
yes, there are a number of ways to do it. Like Kurt says, key the visibility between two identical objects, one in his hand already, one free to be picked up.

If you want to try to move the same object from a sitting position to a hand, you could try creating two locators. Parent one locator to the hand, place one where the object is. Point Constrain the object to both locators. You can then control how much pull one locator has on the object over the other, so you can key the contraint of the hand locator to overpower the ground locator, causing the cup to switch constraints, and essentially be "picked up" by the hand... a little more involved perhaps. user added image

# 6 13-12-2002 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
yeah just use 2 point/orient contraints, one in the hand, one on the table (or wherever ur glass is) then you just change the weighting between the 2 constraints

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 7 24-08-2003 , 07:08 PM
What about if you want to have two hands holding the same object like a rifle or a sword?