Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 03-09-2003 , 04:50 PM
Some huts. These are based off standard wattle-and-daub with thatching style huts and Icelandic turf houses. The varying styles with the lean-to are still being decided upon, these are just some I came up with to see what I liked.

Textures used on this shot: 4
Verts: 3435
Edges: 9745
Faces: 6386
UVs: 3732

Attached Thumbnails
# 32 04-09-2003 , 12:38 AM
Found better texture for the walls, so redid them and prefer this result (yes, even the Celts recycle stone!):

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 04-09-2003 , 12:45 AM
Perhaps can we (I) get a close up of the roof and walls? I want to see the twiggyness that you promised user added image

# 34 04-09-2003 , 12:50 AM
Fine, fine...here's a close up of the longhouse:

Attached Thumbnails
# 35 04-09-2003 , 12:53 AM
Subscriber
That's very shiny! Looks like the perfect place for a good hearty pillage!

# 36 04-09-2003 , 12:59 AM
Nats twiggy houses, for all your raping and pillaging needs user added image

Looks very nice, I love the new wattle and daub texture. It does look much better than the previous, with this one you can almost smell the animal p00.

# 37 04-09-2003 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
Real nice textures! Will fit nicely into Diablo!

# 38 04-09-2003 , 04:36 PM

Originally posted by HappyLemon
Real nice textures! Will fit nicely into Diablo!

Wonderful! That's about the style of game I was thinking of, that or NWN. user added image

Here's a small update on other bits...

Some totem items and general "stuff" around the camp. There's a distinct skull theme happening at the moment. The deer hide will probably get more sides once I count overall polys when I'm done, then there's a pile o' skulls, a skull column, a skull fire pit, and a pentacle shrine-line thingie.

This scene reused the skull texture, so I only posted a pic of the new deer hide texture (512x256). This brings my texture count up to a total of 9 so far user added image so any additional items may be constructive reuse of textures. Now for the stats of this scene:
Verts: 5993
Edges: 15291
Faces: 9435
UVs: 7856

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 05-09-2003 , 05:22 AM
Subscriber
heh, this is lookin awesome. I like your design.. its not exactly like todays games in texturing.. but you dont do that for a profession. The texturing is like tomb raider for playstation, still quite nice :thumbsup:. Those skulls though are just waay to high in polycount. Maybe start off with a 10 poly cylinder or shape, then try to slightly get form to it. Also i dont know exactly mike but the fire that she has made out of particles.. are you allowed to use that in games? Or should it be a plane that rotates to your camera angle. Keep it up though, good job.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 40 05-09-2003 , 11:52 AM
user title spammer
Hi!

i like your stuff...
the stone-circle is awesome

but i donĀ“t like all your textures ... you should be careful with tiling textures, because it makes the look & character of an object boring very fast, and they should be (unless they are needed and wanted) seamless ... otherwise the tiling is to obvious ... well, hope i can help, but really like the stone-circle, the fog, the atmosphere, wonderful!

# 41 05-09-2003 , 03:21 PM

Originally posted by M
heh, this is lookin awesome. I like your design.. its not exactly like todays games in texturing.. but you dont do that for a profession. The texturing is like tomb raider for playstation, still quite nice :thumbsup:. Those skulls though are just waay to high in polycount. Maybe start off with a 10 poly cylinder or shape, then try to slightly get form to it. Also i dont know exactly mike but the fire that she has made out of particles.. are you allowed to use that in games? Or should it be a plane that rotates to your camera angle. Keep it up though, good job.

Thanks for kind words user added image What different could be done by way of texturing? I have plenty of time to implement changes. I went with historically accurate for the most part as compared to what may be in current games as my interests lie heavily in medieval recreation.

The skulls could probably lose some polys...will go through them and see what can be done. I reduced divisions in one direction, but don't remember if I did so in the other. I also used the "soften" in order to round it out for the screens. If I shouldn't then...I'll undo that and take new ones with changes user added image

The fire was place more for an indicator of what it was than anything else. It looked like a really evil birdbath without the fire user added image If it needs to be a plane, then that's cool too, but how do I make it rotate with camera angle?

Thanks again for comments!

# 42 05-09-2003 , 04:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
Particles are fine. In games, particle effects could be done a variety of ways, so whichever way you want to, is fine.

One thing about textures. Right now, it kinda seems as if you're pretty much grabbing a photo source, and simply using it as the texture straight up. Nothing wrong with a photo source, but it'd be good if you could manipulate them in photoshop. Add weathering, stains, mold, dust, etc etc.

# 43 05-09-2003 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber
You're wasting a lot of polygons with the spheres as skulls you could easily shave those down to about 10-20 polygons and make them look more like skulls and less like the bowling ball from Mystery Men ^_^

That way you can use those extra polys in things that NEED them =)

# 44 05-09-2003 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by 3dgurl
....make them look more like skulls and less like the bowling ball from Mystery Men ^_^

LOL! I love Mystery Men!user added image

# 45 05-09-2003 , 10:15 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
[...]but it'd be good if you could manipulate them in photoshop. Add weathering, stains, mold, dust, etc etc.

O, you give me much more credit than I deserve user added image I generally use things 'straight from the box,' as it were, due to my ineptitude at anything artistic. I will try, but the results probably won't be pretty. hehe

Can't we just have very fastidious villagers?? user added image