Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 91 01-09-2004 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
Like what your doing hear murph. really its a cool shap. and the texture is nice.. yeah keep it secret !!! LOL. I like that I can see inprovment right in side this thread.

# 92 01-09-2004 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
cheers Pony, it took a while and a few crits but im getting there.

MURPH
# 93 02-09-2004 , 09:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Murph

Seee!!! Everyone says the improvement is there to see!!! As I say , never say die!!! Keep it up, going great!!

This weekend is THE launch. Fingers crossed.

_J

# 94 03-09-2004 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
:looks down at ground- redfaced - with hands behind back- all bashfull:

PIXAR - here i come user added image

have new puter, not the afore mentioned, but a XC cube, so far so good, nice and stable, just trying to locate all files from old puter, (im so messy)

AND I have a great image that i will post of that spotlight for water, it rendered and i had to double check i wasn't bleary eyed, it was almost SPOT on!!

MURPH
# 95 03-09-2004 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
dont think i will be able to complete this challenge, news link - i work in the Ejection Seat bay...

laters...

MURPH
# 96 04-09-2004 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
spured on by Mike, here is another picture - underwater

Attached Thumbnails

MURPH
# 97 04-09-2004 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
that picture is so poor, but its ok on my puter user added image
here is another closer pic.

Attached Thumbnails

MURPH

Last edited by murph; 04-09-2004 at 10:24 AM.
# 98 04-09-2004 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber
nice water idea.. hope you can make time to continue.

# 99 04-09-2004 , 04:12 PM
More fog!! So you get a more God Ray look as its broken by the scales on its back. Dont forget particles in the water, maybe a a bit more spec where the light is on his back!!!

Looks good though Murph

_J

# 100 04-09-2004 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber
done all that you sugested, with mixed results, the fog looked great - from the crocs shadow down - but not the actual rays, spec - yeah solved i think
particals, hmmm, i think they need to be hardware rendered don't they, only have a 64 graphics card (new one next week thou), not adequate, it tells me, and then i relay to my wife...

it's getting there, just for a gorey twist, when the comps over, and he's no longer needed i may blow him up with my WIP....

Murph

MURPH
# 101 04-09-2004 , 08:38 PM
Hey, that's going fast and great user added image. Those rays shouldn't be a prob, even for a bad computer. Just use spotlight fog, turn shadows on, and apply an moving water texture to the spotlight colour, and you're done!. Also some particle bubbles would be great user added image.

# 102 04-09-2004 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
hey dirack,

the computer is ok it's just the Graphics card for hardware rendering, software rendering is super quick compared to my old puter.

funny enough i had just rendered the following image when you replied, the only problem i am having, is the rays emit from the source outwardly not parallel as you would expect, i am experimenting with volume lights at the moment, so as soon as i have another 5 mins spare i will update. untill then...

Attached Thumbnails

MURPH
# 103 05-09-2004 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber
could you try thoughs rays with a directional light ? If so it will not look like the sorce is very close like in that last update. BTW I do like that afect alot.

# 104 05-09-2004 , 11:40 AM
Hey Murph

You got it. I was gonna say just do a normal render, no hardware needed but you've done it. Great. As for directional light with fog, I'm not sure that you can, I could be wrong, as my team and Myself always used spotlights.

I see what Pony means though. But You could go back to the shot where its swimming toward you , then that way the spread isn't as obvious. 'Subtle' is the key word I think.

As for particle in the water, jus pop an emitter in there (volume sphere) and it will emit center outwards, but keep the rate quite low as you dont want to over do it, and then pop the particle shape on tiny spheres. I pop a render on in a mo of something I did a while ago with the setting for you.

Great job though.
_J

# 105 05-09-2004 , 12:08 PM
Hey Murph

I did the particles for this: ParticleRenderType/ Cloud, Radius 0.2, Lifespan 1, Rate 1, Spread .0001, Speed .0001.

Its a volume particle so check the settings, I think default is Omni.

Note when you play back before these settings it may be quite fast ( default that is) which isn't bad. When you play it back to the end frame of say 300, select the particle and go to Dynamic Menu set Solvers>Initial state>Set for selected. Then play back your particles will start at frame 1 where they end at frame 300 and then you can tweak the settings to the above, they may be a bit different depending....

Heres a frame from my jellyfish animation so you can see.

_J

Attached Thumbnails