Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-08-2016 , 09:10 PM

Shading Problem While Modeling

I'm not super new to Maya but I've never run into this problem before and I'm not sure how to solve it.
I'm modeling a spaceship-car thing. Low poly. But every time I try to Make a Bevel out of a few selected faces, or try to move any vertexes, I receive this strange "shading problem"? I'm not even sure if it's shading.

If I undo, the problem won't go away until I close the program. My normals aren't flipped and I''m using Soft Edge because I had a few problems with sharp edges.

Please help! I have no idea what this is! user added image Attached are some images for a lot more clarity.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 02-09-2016 , 07:18 PM
So what I ended up doing - which sort of solved the problem - was select the entire mesh's verts, then go to "Mesh Display > Set to Face" to flip the vert's normals. Every time I encountered this problem I did that and it looked fine for a while.
I don't know if that's the best answer, but if anyone else encounters this problem you can try that.

# 3 03-09-2016 , 01:54 PM
Lifetime Member
Have you tried unlocking the normals?

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 4 04-09-2016 , 12:55 AM
Technical Director
Do you have overlapping vertices?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 07-09-2016 , 11:06 PM
According to the Vertex normals, no. But I did a Merge right before I checked just in case.

# 6 07-09-2016 , 11:11 PM
When I unlock the normals my shading is completely obliterated. But my normals aren't really locked in the first place; I can still flip them.
For now though it looks like the problem has gone away.