Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 05-04-2011 , 09:21 PM
The thin red line

cool, whatever. they change for me at work.

I think the thighs look a little bulkier, but yeah not much difference so why do it?

Why smooth? because it looks better no matter by how much (I am talking about using the 3 button), if you were going to do a lot of animation that might be different but may be not...........dave

Last edited by daverave; 05-04-2011 at 09:23 PM.
# 32 05-04-2011 , 11:52 PM
I think Dom is right when it comes to the whole poly count when using the 3 button thing, if you smooth a cube that only has 6 sides and look at it in Viewport 2.0 you'll see the actual amount of faces displayed, it does sub divide the geo, it's just doesn't display on the normal view.
Either way your model is looking great Tweety, and I'm eagerly awaiting your progress!
Good luck with this months comp.
And more importantly, good luck for tomorrow, hope it goes well for you mate, Ill have my fingers crossed for you (some of the day...lol)!

# 33 06-04-2011 , 12:39 AM
The Nurb Herd

Why smooth? because it looks better no matter by how much (I am talking about using the 3 button), if you were going to do a lot of animation that might be different but may be not...........dave

well then thats pretty silly if you are doing a low poly model.

# 34 06-04-2011 , 04:39 AM
EduSciVis-er
Maybe lets take the smooth discussion into the main challenge thread so tweety's thread doesn't get hijacked too much. Maybe Jay has some input too on how to approach the smoothing.

# 35 06-04-2011 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Stwert - Right last bit on the pressing of 3 thing then we are all moving on...

The reason I press 3 is thats the way I work - I like my models looking smooth. But it is also how I was taught to view my models in Maya before Zbrush in a training video (After the early part of this thread will not say which one ) as its a good indentation of what shape it will look like once you add some levels of detail in Zbrush.

Dango77 is right how ever - turning on viewpoint 2.0 )something I have never done until today) does adds the smoothed faces, meaning Honest Dom was correct, but in normal display or high display it does not (on my PC - Anyway). Another benefit of viewpoint 2.0 it now means I can see my hair without rendering it out - Fantastic news - cheers Dango77. I am hoping to get this model in to UDK and do the final renders in there (time allowing of course and why not its free). So pressing 3 will not be an option

Hoping to show some progress tonight (started on the police belt with all the gadgets and stuff) but really tired after today so going to take it easy for a bit.

But no more on the smoothness matter - its over.

Cheers for kind words Bullet and Dango77 and daverave no animation this time round (Well maybe a turntable)

# 36 06-04-2011 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
Son of a ***** - Doing some more research - digging around on Google I notice this ad for a new psp game "3rd Birthday" - turns out its Parasite Eva 3 (or spin off with same characters).

They have updated the main character with some stunning shots -

https://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6554/pic1pn.png

https://www.psptogo.com/upload/2010-1...6101456691.jpg

https://images.eurogamer.net/tv/6/8/2...engrab_480.jpg

https://rpad.tv/wp-content/uploads/20...icial-site.png

Love that one - stunning

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XL7DNILu0P...g/s1600/10.jpg

Really don`t know what to do now

Last edited by tweetytunes; 06-04-2011 at 09:46 PM.
# 37 06-04-2011 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber
oh yeah, i've been getting emails about that, but haven't been sure of what it's about...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 38 07-04-2011 , 12:00 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Damn Neil Your moving at an amazing pace its looking very promising

# 39 08-04-2011 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber
Dame 3rd birthday has done everything I wanted with the character - its hard to improve it now, but still going on with this - at least I was always planning on putting her in a cop outfit not just jeans and t-shirt.

The game is bar far the best psp game I have ever played - and for once the controls are almost spot on (one thing I hate about the psp - hurts my hands).

Did some test in Z-Brush last night on the top and head - T shirt worked out ok but the head had an area with double faces - took it back to maya then brought it back and zbrush flipped out so left it for now - but at least I learnt how to uv in zbrush and man was it fast and easy - every 3d program needs a workflow like that.

# 40 08-04-2011 , 05:56 PM
The thin red line
Yes zbrush will kick you out if there is some thing wrong, also do the mesh checker in zbrush. You can be modelling along then find out there is some thing wrong with the mesh......dave

Edit:Have you managed to get good normal maps out for the vest?

# 41 08-04-2011 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber

also do the mesh checker in zbrush

No idea - where is that then - I used GoZ and getting a mesh though that can be a pain in the ass, but then I did the uvs and flattened it I saw a number of faces on the noise move to the side - when I had a look in maya I noticed the double faces - GoZ it again and the mouth,eyes and nostrils had random tri`s flying out - getting much worse as I went up levels.

Edit:Have you managed to get good normal maps out for the vest?

Not tried yet - Was only testing the top - most will be covered I think so it was not for keep but more just getting the work flow into my head.

Anyway was not going to post this but hay not shown anything for awhile

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Ada_1_5.jpg

# 42 08-04-2011 , 07:49 PM
The thin red line
The mesh checker in zbrush was in geo (move up a level) box at the bottom.............dave

# 43 09-04-2011 , 04:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Do you guys ever use cleanup in Maya? Just a thought as these things do go by the wayside from time to time. It will help you immensley before moving on. I tend to make sure my guys at work run it during and after a model is complete as you never know what can be lurking despite all hard efforts to keep geo clean.

just some thoughts

Jay

# 44 09-04-2011 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
Yer I use it alot, but on this instance I just forgot to - just eyeballed it as it was just the head and chest area for a quick test sneaky double faces (there was only six on the tip of the noise)

# 45 11-04-2011 , 05:16 PM
Subscriber
Well going to carry on but stay away from the ideas used in 3rd birthday (square soft lost the right to the name parasite eve)

Just a quick render.
Shoes done as well as upper body vest and belt - although will play with the size of the clips once I figure out the gun, they are too small right now.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/Game/Ada_1_6.jpg

YouTube - Aya Wire frame animation test.mov

Things need to do before base mesh fin;

Belt loops,
Side pockets on pants,
Re-do the hands - I`m not liking them right now,
Police radio,
and some hand-cuffs.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-04-2011 at 05:35 PM.