Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-04-2005 , 10:54 PM

ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro with Maya 6.5

Hey everyone. I really want to get an All-In-Wonder cards so I can use my PC as a second TV and also do lots of video capture. But I also am dying to use Maya. I have been able to use it a little with my current ATI AIW 7500, but it locks up when it gets complex.

I have read lots about how Alias doesn't support ATI and all that. I am wonder if it will work well enough for a hobbyist.

I know many will recommend that I get another brand, but I just want to know how well it will work and if any others out there have this same set up.

I will have a P4 2.0 ghz, 768 mb Ram and then get the AIW 9800 pro.

Thanks in advance.

# 2 26-04-2005 , 09:24 AM
Subscriber
I have an ATI radeon 9800 in my laptop and it works good for what I have been manily using it for which is modelling I haven't really done any animation or hard rendering so I can't comment on that.
The only issue I have come across on my laptop rather than my desktop (GForce 4) is that when inserting image planes via the viewpoint method they get strecthed when you move the camera but that is easily solveable by adding regular planes and texturing them

# 3 26-04-2005 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
I got through the Complete Spitfire Modelling Tutorial and most of the Texturing on my Humble 9200, however when editing UVs while in Hardware Texturing Mode, my ATI card didn't like it too much. On Saturday my PC must have crashed 20 times in the space of 3 hours . . . Complete lockups requiring a Hard Reset!

As of a few hours ago, I now have a Geforce Nvida Chipset as opposed to a Radeon. Seems much more stable.

Cheers
Paul

# 4 26-04-2005 , 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am wondering how the all in wonder features would help/harm?

# 5 26-04-2005 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
i had a raedon 9800 pro and used maya 6 and 5

had problems when i would import image planes (sluggish as could be)

pretty much made modeling a no go

i had no problems however doing animation, i never tried much else with it.

i sold it to a friend and bought a geforce 6800, and all my problems dissapeared.

also if you use linux, i always had problems with my ati card,

if you have the choice, i would get an nvidia, as i have never heard of anyone having a problem modeling inside of maya with one, however you can find many many people having problems using ATI cards

# 6 26-04-2005 , 07:11 PM
dude, ppl. these days....

9800 is a rip-off, good card but costs way too much... ATI only makes good 4 the money cards 9600XT or lower.. YOU NEED to get the nvidia 6600GT, it's only 200 dollars and it is better than the X800 PRO, (not the x800XT < which costs like $400) I have the 6600GT, upgraded from a 9600, and uh... the difference. Just look at the specs and compare..
-----------------
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER Radeon 9800Pro 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
Core clock: 380MHz
Memory Clock: 680MHz
D-SUB: 1
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 1
Max Resolution: 2048x1536@85Hz
SLI Supported: No

PRICE - $269
---------------------

MSI Geforce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
Core Clock: 500MHZ
Memory Clock: 1000MHz
D-SUB: 1
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 1
Max Resolution: 2048x1536@85Hz
RAMDAC: 400 MHz
SLI Supported: No
TV-Out: S-Video/Composite Out

PRICE - $194
--------------------------------

and whatever you buy, you HAVE to buy it on newegg.com

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
--Albert Einstein
# 7 27-04-2005 , 06:37 PM
Sounds good, but I really want the tv tuner feature. Do you work with Newegg? Thanks for the input.

# 8 28-04-2005 , 01:45 AM
Subscriber
dont we all?

buy an external one, base it on what features you need, personally i just run another pc with my old ati raedon 8500 dv card.

you will get better performance and be able to run it on multiple os's if you get a usb2.0 one (such as on the mac and when using linux as well as win XP)

though i have my hdtv tuner in this one (but dont really use it)

but like the guy before me said, geforce card is so much better even if it cant cap

# 9 02-05-2005 , 08:15 PM
dude, with all the dough you save, just buy a PCI card with TV tuner and crap, and then you can have dual monitors too, and better performance... user added image

i don't work for newegg, but newegg is the best onine store ever, sometimes it even beats the prices on ebay, and newegg sells "new". They have fast shipping (anwhere in US in 2 days) and you can trust them as much as your best friend! user added image

--Albert Einstein
# 10 02-05-2005 , 08:19 PM

Originally posted by BMS
I got through the Complete Spitfire Modelling Tutorial and most of the Texturing on my Humble 9200, however when editing UVs while in Hardware Texturing Mode, my ATI card didn't like it too much. On Saturday my PC must have crashed 20 times in the space of 3 hours . . . Complete lockups requiring a Hard Reset!

As of a few hours ago, I now have a Geforce Nvida Chipset as opposed to a Radeon. Seems much more stable.

Cheers
Paul

if your computer crashes during operations, it's not because of your vid card, but cuz your ram is either slow, or has high latency.
Putting more ram won't help, putting BETTER ram would help. It could also be because your CPU doesn't coaperate with your other hardware, or it is overheated.user added image

--Albert Einstein