Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-08-2005 , 06:49 AM

Polygon question.

I am creating a wheel that fits inside the track of a tank. Inbetween the top two treads you can tell that the faces meet and form a nice clean edge. The next gap's faces meet but does not create a clean edge when rendered. I have been fixing it by deleting and then reestablishing the edges but at times I have to find that one edge that is causing the weird geometry. I can usually tell when rendered the faces will do this because there will be a sort of gradient on the face in question.

I have noticed that this happens when I extrude faces but I don't use the manipulator that pops up I use the specific move, rotate, etc. tools.

I have Polygons > Tool Options > Keep faces together selected.

I have looked to see if there were extra vertices, edges, holes inbetween edges but nothing. It looks solid and when I check the geometry it's solid but rendered it becomes obvious. I've try cleaning but it tends to add edges that doesn't help the problem.

What causes this to happen? This problem really sucks because it slows my work pace having to stop and fix my geometry. :headbang:

I hope that I included enough information. I can include somemore pictures if you don't quite understand what the first one is showing. Just let me know.

Thanks.

user added image

# 2 19-08-2005 , 05:01 PM
Subscriber
Try setting all normals to face.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 20-08-2005 , 01:44 AM
You wonderfull person. Thank you. user added image

# 4 20-08-2005 , 05:40 AM
Subscriber
umm... so I take it that worked, in which case, you're welcome.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."