Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-02-2008 , 03:57 PM

Warnings all the time when using tiffs?

Hi,

whenever I load a scene containing tiff textures, I get numerous warnings in the script editor regarding "unknown taggs". The textures work fine though, both in the viewport and when rendering.

Anyone else seen this and is it just a quirk of maya?

cheers

gubar

# 2 03-02-2008 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
are u rendering in mental ray???

# 3 03-02-2008 , 11:37 PM
Yes, but this is even before I render. When I hit 6 to display textures, I get all these messages in the script editor.

I know some folk have had issues with mr/tiffs, but they've always rendered fine for me.

cheers

gubar

# 4 04-02-2008 , 02:03 AM
Subscriber
maybe it is that conflict with the tiff compression.
are they compressed. i think that mr likes uncompressed tiffs only. so maybe till now you had uncompressed once. maybe re-convert those images or try a different format. that would def help.

# 5 04-02-2008 , 03:08 AM
Hi,

they're not compressed at all so it's weird. Still work fine though - maybe not good prective though.

What other format is as good? I know that jpegs aren't so good for retaining quality - are targas as good? Or another format?

cheers

gubars

# 6 04-02-2008 , 03:12 AM
Jr.Who
I use pngs and jpegs most of the time. pngs have great quality (almost no difference to tiffs) and are small.