Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-01-2010 , 07:14 AM

Scale components along an axis?!?!?!

Why does Maya not have a scale along axis option???????

It has a move along axis option, but when I want to scale along an axis I have to:

1. make a cube
2. pain painstakingly align a face of the cube along the edge I want to scale along
3. make the cube the parent of the object I want to scale the verts in.
4. freeze the transform of the object I need to scale verts
5. unparent the cube and the object
6. delete the cube
7. and 20 fricking minutes later and now I can scale the god damn verts along the axis I want!!!!

There has to be a better way!!! I can't stand sitting there and try to manually scale verts in three fricking axis while they go all skewed and wonky because I just can't pick the axis I want to scale along!

The other option of course to the move the entire object until the verts I want to scale are lined up with a global axis, then freeze transforms, then scale, then realign the entire object to where is needs to go again. This is still a retarded workflow. I spend 10 minutes of my time aligning the object to get the verts aligned to the axis I want to scale on, then 2 seconds to make the adjustment, then 10 minutes getting the god damn part back aligned again!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-01-2010 at 07:20 AM.
# 2 01-01-2010 , 08:13 AM
EduSciVis-er
I share your frustration, though I never went to the trouble of devising that complex workflow. Hope there's a better solution out there.

# 3 01-01-2010 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
CT
I'm having a hard time visualizing the question of scale along an axis, i might be just misunderstanding what you are saying, make a quick jpg with appropriate arrows to demonstrate the issue you are referring to and I'll see if i have encountered the problem before and have a fix, or if there is a script that resolves it, or if i can come up with a solution
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!