Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-04-2003 , 12:57 AM

Modelling problems

I am a total newbie to maya and i'm just starting out trying to develop my polygon modelling techniques. My current project is to model a gun, a GLOCK20.

I'm having trouble connecting 2 parts of my gun together due to my limited knowledge of maya. I tried looking through the built in maya reference and i can find anyting that applies to my situation user added image

I want to connect the circled red areas in the picture below to form the other part of the tirgger, but i don't know how.

Thanks in advance,
Flashmario

# 2 04-04-2003 , 01:38 AM
The Maya Mountain
You can use the Append to Polygon Tool. Click from one edge to the other and hit enter when the pink area looks like you'd want.

Polygons > Append to Polygon Tool

# 3 09-04-2003 , 04:26 AM
thanks man, I've made some progress but, i'm stuck again user added image.
When i extuded the barrel of the gun, i added some divisions (like 5) just incase i needed to add anything, but now i keep seeing little crevices between the divisions, and when i try to smooth it, it doesn't smooth the whole barrel, it smooths the inidividual divisions user added image. Sorry if this is a really n00b question, i don't know how to fix it tho. I'm so slow at modelling, but you can see my progress anyway...

# 4 09-04-2003 , 04:33 AM
The Maya Mountain
It looks like you have faces INSIDE the barrel at those divisions that need to be deleted.

# 5 09-04-2003 , 04:41 AM
user added image thanks mike, you're really helpful, is there anyway to aviod creating internal faces in the future?

# 6 10-04-2003 , 08:59 PM
Yeah in modeling mode go to polygons>tool options>keep faces together