Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-12-2003 , 04:05 PM

Grainy shadows / reflections

Hi all

Here is what i have done so far:

- A white cube with a lot of raytracing on it.

- 4 directional lights. All with 0.3 in intensity and no shadows. [ No depth map and no raytraced ]

- A simpel guy with an animated skeleton.

The Challenge: The shadows that appears in the corners of my cube is grainy - very grainy. And i can't seeme to get rid of the grainy stuff. In my render globals i have set my 'Shading' to 4, and my 'Anti-Aliasing Quality' to "highest."

I simply do not understand what is going on with my Maya these days :-(

Can anyone help me - please???

Attached Images
# 2 05-12-2003 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
are you useing 4.5 or 5 ? which one ?

looks like the photons are way to low. its not a problem with the shadows are anti-alias.

Mayas software render or MentalRay ?

# 3 07-12-2003 , 11:12 PM
hmm.

that looks exactly like wide-angle raytraced shadows w/ not enough shadow rays look...

are you sure your shadows are all turned off?

user added image

# 4 08-12-2003 , 10:37 AM
Hi Pony

I am using 5.0, and Maya Software :-)

Could u explain the thing with the "photons" ??

--> Carrot juice -->

Yes - i am VERY sure. I have bin very frustrated in the past because of that issue with shadows being 'to low' in the shading. And that is NOT the problem - sorry.

But thanks for replying :-)

# 5 08-12-2003 , 11:19 AM
Subscriber
ok.. on your MayaSoftware renderglobals. Under Memory and Performance Options. what are the settings for the RayTracing there ?? Recursion Depth, Leaf Primitives, Subdivision Power.

you might have got one set off.. I have 2, 200, .250 for thoughs settings..

we could start with that.

a nother option is to post your file so I or someone could try to figer it out.

# 6 08-12-2003 , 12:35 PM
Hi Pony

Good idea! :-D

However; SimplyMaya gives med an error message saying that my file is to large, which i do not understand, since it only weights about 1 mb.

But i have posted it on this url, so u can download it from there!

https://konceptsalg.jubii.dk/rene/

Feel free to yell and scream at me for all the newbie-mistakes u find :-D

Thanx again :-D

# 7 08-12-2003 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
ok. I'll cheak it out today..

LOL I wont yell and scream, I'm tyred of yelling and screaming, at the people that live around me. ( - Pony'sGril, shes always a angel)

# 8 09-12-2003 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber
ok.. check out the pic below. thats what I got out of it.. I don't know what it is but the cam1 is funky !! The pic I did was done buy just creating a new cam.. so what you can do is delit your first cam , and thin just creat a nother one, and place that on your path for your animation. You don't need to change any of the settings on the new camara eather. At least render first once its on the curve. After that you could tweak it and then test render so you know you haven't created a undesiered afect.

BTW I'm wandering what are you after with this.. ? its intresting.. but.. why is the guy totaly black ? I'm just wandering what afect your after.. oh well..

oh yeah.. one other changese I made were : I change the normals of the box, and moved the lights to the center.. also changed the man's color to red. but I don't think thoughs have any afect. But just thought I would mention them if you have problems.

Attached Images
# 9 09-12-2003 , 09:53 AM
Hi Pony

Thanx a lot...........i mean A LOT. I can't believe anyone will do something like that for free :-)

Can i rely on u some other time?

# 10 09-12-2003 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
yeah sure, I'd give it a shot..

# 11 09-12-2003 , 04:10 PM
Hi

Sorry - it's me again.

Do you, by any chance, know how to make a RenderFarm??

# 12 09-12-2003 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
sorry not yet. Your seen probly shouldn't need it though. I would say at max from what I have seen it should only take about 3 minets at most each frame. But you might be adding something or planing on it I don't know about with that..
I know 3 to 5 minets could seem like a long time.. but check the reneder with your play blast. if good.. then you can have it render at time for a day or so, it will get it done..

But a render farm would be nice.. so you have a nother computer to use with yours ?
I would be setting up a farm my self for Maya but I need a roughter first.

# 13 10-12-2003 , 10:47 AM
Hi Pony

Yes - i am using it on my work. Actually i have played around with it for about a couple of years, made a couple of internal project / presenations in Maya 4.0 Complete.

After that i convinsed my boss to buy Maya 5.0 unlimited - WOW! Am i in paradise or what. That is one piece of awsome Software :-)

(One of my images are posted in the Main Gallery. Taking from a movie i tried to make for RADIOHEAD. Haven't heard anything though. )

What about u? Do u use it for work??

# 14 10-12-2003 , 12:08 PM
Subscriber
Use it for my art. Trying to get a gig with it.. I'm WPRKing hard at getting some work with it.. I hope.. I'll cheak the gallery..

# 15 10-12-2003 , 12:09 PM
So - ur an artist :-)