Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-07-2005 , 07:43 PM

boolean polygons

Hello,

I have alrady looked in other threads for an answer to my problem: Although, many people seem to be having this problem, I didn't come across a real solution and was wondering if someone could explain why is it that at some points, maya chooses to make the objects disappear when performing boolean differences. :headbang:

Is it because of the way the edges are placed, eihter way, if anyone has ANY explanation to this dilemma, I would truly appreciate any sort of answer.

Thank you

# 2 09-07-2005 , 08:27 AM
Seriously? It depends.

You might, for example, have an object that is non-manifold or is otherwise not valid for the operation. But if you're trying a sphere/cylinder or cube/cylinder combination, those ones are just wierd (this is one of the situations where maya kills the shape on mine, don't know about yours). As near as I can tell, the best way to solve that particular problem is to select a cylinder (or a resultant from a cylinder) and then the other shape.
If you're trying to work with non-manifold geometry (the 'polygons>cleanup' operation will take care of most of these (i think)), you may be stuck.

So how about more specifics?