Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-02-2006 , 10:44 PM

caustics and Final Gathering and HDRI

Hallo,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm new to mental ray for maya and with a simple test i explored it's capabilities. I made a basic scene and work this to a "realistic" level. It's the end of scissors and some pins. I believe the camera settings are not very good though because the pins are actually smaller in comparising with the scissors than it looks like here. Can anybody give me some feedback of how to improve the realistic look? I didn't use global illumination and the hdri is only used for reflection and not for the caustics. There is a seperate point light source.

So hit me .... thanxs

user added image

:bow: :bow:

# 2 02-02-2006 , 12:37 AM
Hi psychopappa!
It looks good for a start but I think you need to mess upp the shaders a bit... For me it looks like melted glass with a needle. The marble table looks good. Fot the scissors blades you need to paint a separate map to give the surface a mechanical sharpend surface... Use the same shader and perhaps use a noise node as bump with like 0.1 and 1 on the UV and assign it to the "sharp" blades. Fot the pinns I would consider a not so transparent setting... give it a bit more grayish/ blueish transp. and dirty up the specular surface with a bump map. you need to feel the volume not to see through it!
As I said, you have a great start so just play around with the shaders for a bit! For doing realistic stuff its all about chaos. btw. try a 3d texture for specular, it usually dose great things!
Hope it gave you an idea anyway!
/Chris

Beauty is worse than wine, it intoxicates both the holder and beholder - Immermann"
# 3 07-05-2006 , 01:37 AM
Nice! Almost real-like. I agree you still have to play with the shaders. The pins are not usually see through, they're more low transparent with some blurry. Overall, great work.

Did you use regular shaders or MR materials?