Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-05-2007 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber

How do i...

Is there a way to orient an object based off of another surface?
For instance, i have an object that i want to orient one face, with that of another on a different object so that it lines up. Is there some function that allows me to select a face from each object and then have one object orient and move to the other face?
I have PLEs 6 AND 7, so if there's something in either, that'll be great.

Also...is there a way to smooth just a particular part of the model? rather than the whole object, just the selected faces? I find it a real pain to have to add a bunch of edges just to keep the shape of something on the object when i convert to subd or smooth when i only need some blocky-looking areas smoothed.

# 2 16-05-2007 , 06:34 PM
I think what you might be looking for is the Snap Align tool (option box) under the Modify Menu Set. As far as smoothing, I think you can just select what faces or edges you want and then do a smooth. If the object is selected it will smooth the whole thing but if you only have certain faces selected, I think only those faces get smoothed.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 17-05-2007 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the reply, i'll check out that tool user added image

also, i do have only a couple edges/faces selected, but it still smooths the entire model, it's weird...but it's not a huge deal.

Thanks for the help user added image