Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-06-2008 , 12:38 AM

Turbine Boat

Ive been away from maya for months b/c of school but I just started this project yesterday. a turbine powered sailboat. A nice fun model to start summer vacation! lmk what you think. critz and comments always helpful :p

Attached Thumbnails

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 2 09-06-2008 , 03:44 AM
!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 09-06-2008 , 03:51 AM
Acid44
cool idea dude kutgw

# 4 09-06-2008 , 08:37 AM
Subscriber
a turbine powered sailboat is an oxymoron..user added image

mate to me it needs more character.., i know its early days but.., well, something of a pirate look, a Chinese junk look, a more cartoon look.., something to ..., how can i put this.., take away the odd look of two objects that really do not belong to each other.., a character look that will unify the model

just my HO

Muser added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 5 09-06-2008 , 12:21 PM
Senior Software Developer
I agree with Mr Mirek... user added image

Also think about increasing the size of the boats hull, the scale and therefore the power of the turbine will sink it in its current state.

Good start tho user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 13-06-2008 , 11:54 PM
model looks good, but yea think about it... not only will it sink, but everyone sitting in it will get sucked up and in, and spit out the back!

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 14-06-2008 , 09:55 PM
haha! thanks for the replies. the unique point about this ship is its more for air travel. I kept seeing all those ships flying through the sky, sailing with the wind, and felt like making one for windless skies. itll have a mass, maybe a small sail but i want to give it a futuristic/basic jolly boat look. with metallics and woods! heres a couple sample renders with updates and basic textures (i still need to enlarge the hull and add alot of stuff). i intend to put it in a scene and attempt to animate it with particles.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 14-06-2008 at 09:58 PM.
# 8 15-06-2008 , 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
It looks good so far, but wouldn't it need a rudder and one of those keel/ centerboard thingys?

- Genny
# 9 15-06-2008 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
and a petrol tank..., the rest of the engine.., wings/sails/or those helicopter blade things to keep it in the air..,ect

lets not get too real user added image

nice render.., but something about raytracing that goes over the top sometimes.., very strong reflections.

Muser added image

# 10 16-06-2008 , 07:08 AM
nice start - but i really think you need to think about what you're making. as others have pointed out - it's missing some vital parts - i know you're still working on it, but this makes no sense at the moment - the pipe from the fan goes straight into the wooden plank...? and that fan looks like it's just going to tip it over.

you'll save yourself a lot of time and headache if you think through your project before you start making it. I remember a design project in school when i made a phone for the deaf and it was only when i handed it in that the teacher asked me how would they hear it ringing...or use the receiver....

# 11 16-06-2008 , 01:39 PM
Subscriber
arron that got to be one of the funniest things ive heard.., truly monty python standard.., a phone for the deaf!!?? how about a TV for the blind???

personally id kill the engine and make a sail boat.., the boat is great.., but all that is a callous thing to say about someones model?! sorry!!

Last edited by mirek03; 16-06-2008 at 01:41 PM.
# 12 17-06-2008 , 03:13 AM
It's special boat and looks very powerfully of engine. Anyway very good guy!

Cheers!user added image