Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-08-2008 , 07:04 AM

Poly to subdiv problem?

Im working on the human form tut(STILL!) and ive gotten to the point where i have to convert poly to subdivs, when I click apply i get a script error.

polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 4000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface4|polySurfaceShape5;
// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): The conversion to a subdivision surface failed:
// This polygon contains an interior vertex connected by less than 3 edges.
// To fix the problem, either remove the edge with the interior vertex, or subdivide the polygon so that the interior vertex has at least 3 edges.
// The indices of the vertices in question are: 537. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

I have no idea how to fix this, is there a way to pinpoint ver 537? i have no idea.

Also i was cleaning up the mess and what not and there was a random TRI in there and i cant delete it, ive tried deleting it by edge, verts, with the delete button, then i tried selecting it all then going mesh(menu) delete vert/edge and it doesnt work either, so i just pulled it away from the mesh, and left it be somewhere off in the plane, it is linked to the mesh though because when i select the mesh in object mode, the tri shows up, i have no idea how to delete it, could that also cause the problem?

Thanks

EDIT : I was able to delete the try, still saying 537 is the vert in question, i was messing with the script editor, and couldnt get it to pinpoint vert 537, is there an easier way through a menu or something to select that individual vert?

Last edited by Goatfish; 28-08-2008 at 07:25 AM.
# 2 28-08-2008 , 01:18 PM
There is a poly count restriction in the option box of convert polygons to subdivs. You to increase that over your poly count for it to work.

To delete that object select it by 'Object' and press delete. Make sure you delete history first.

Try the cleanup option for that vertex your looking for and then go over your mash looking for border edges.

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)

Last edited by BennyK; 28-08-2008 at 01:21 PM.
# 3 28-08-2008 , 02:02 PM
Wow thanks! Got that fixed by doing your suggestions, had to merge quite a bit of pgons, caused from spliting, i didnt know how to snap beginning verts so it was a million verts overlayed on top of each other!

My new problem is certain parts of my model, when i click a certain vert another vert is also highlighted but in white, and when i move the original, the white one moves, like there linked or something, cant figure that out

Any ideas?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, and YES i have been doing searchs and whatnot before posting to see if i could find a fix, but nothing for this!

Thanks

# 4 29-08-2008 , 12:11 AM
Any luck with this? Sorry, not trying to be nagging, but im at the final stage, where im just definning muscles and stuff and I cant do it, because i define one section, the another is all screwed up because of the linked vertice

# 5 29-08-2008 , 04:03 AM
try selecting the object and deleting the history. also post a picture so we can see what's going on.

# 6 29-08-2008 , 06:13 AM
Subscriber
sorry if i'm being mean but did you happen to select both vertices by mistake? or are the vertices like 10 units away and there's absolutely no chance at all that you could select both of them without selecting others?

as for snapping, the the snapping options are at the top of the screen as little square buttons

but since using the mouse to go up there always takes forever and triples the time it takes to do anything, use the hot keys

x, c, and v
x to snap to grid, c to snap to points, and i dunno what the other thing does because it never snaps to anything

also useful is being able to snap a vertex to another one but only in one axis. in that case you just move the vertex using the arrows on the move tool that you see in your scene

(did that last paragraph confuzzle you? i dont think i said it very well...)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 29-08-2008 , 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Chirone

x, c, and v
x to snap to grid, c to snap to points, and i dunno what the other thing does because it never snaps to anything

x snaps to grid.

c snaps to curves.

v snaps to vertices..

user added image

# 8 29-08-2008 , 07:35 AM
Hey thanks for all the replies.

Those snap hotkeys are super useful thanks! As far as the problem, it ended up being something stupid in my pref, I just reset the manipulator tool back to its defaults(I had messed with it previously do to them not showing up, ended being my graphics card drivers) and it fixed the problem. Stupid, but oh well I guess im learning from the mistakes.

Sorry about all the troubles and stupid questions, guess everyone starts somewhere though.

Thanks

# 9 29-08-2008 , 08:16 AM
no need to say sorry - it's tough when you first start. everyone here is friendly and more than happy to help.

welcome to simplymaya! user added image

# 10 29-08-2008 , 08:33 AM
Subscriber
a snap to curves, thats the other one, woops got the keys mixed up, i always just keep hitting a random key until i get the right one

yeah, no need to ssay sorry, most of us here like to show off what we know user added image

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 11 29-08-2008 , 02:51 PM
If it was the manipulator it must have been reflection option turned on... you might have checked it by mistake.

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 12 29-08-2008 , 09:19 PM
Thats exactly what it was.

Also, when im working with subd's when I manipulate vertices, the actual point is dragged, following the mouse where i move. is there a way to keep the points aligned with the surface, that way it doesnt take me forever to find the point(sometimes in the mesh a bit or outside a bit.

# 13 30-08-2008 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
it's how sub-Ds work, dude
it's like nurbs but on steroids

you can't just move the vertex and expect it to work like polygon modelling because the algorithms are different
eaech vertex is linked to other vertices the same way nurbs are

i say its on steriod because you have a lot more control over it than nurbs, you can change the level of detail (?) on a sub-d surface to showmore points or less

of you're having trouble knowing where some verteces are cuz they are inside the mesh then you should use the x-ray mode

there is a script on highend3d, i think, that you can just plug into your shelf and it toggles between xray and non-xray.