Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 04-01-2010 , 05:51 PM
And one question from me ...

It is must to have 2D art skills to be good at 3D or i'm wrong?

or at least to be better than those 3D artists that can't draw on 2D..

thx

# 47 04-01-2010 , 07:17 PM
Subscriber
My opinion on that question woudl be this:
If you plan to develop your own concept work, to be done in 3d, then a working knowledge of aspects of 2d work would of course be very useful.

Otherwise, While yes, knowing how to put pen to paper Would be a useful skill in art as a whole and could not serve to hinder your efforts in 3d, i do not see that it would its self enhance your ability as a 3d artist.

However Art is not something that is learned. A person either Is an artist, or isn't. Yes you have to learn the software you are using and techniques that need to be employed for this and that. But a person who is not artistic or imaginative can know all day long how to Use the software in question and not produce a scrap of art with the knowledge.

For example:
Anyone with time and dedication can reproduce any object they see in a tutorial as they watch the tutorial, but Not everyone can take those skills and apply them to a different object to recreate it.

Also, I have found at least for my own work, i woudl not know for sure about industry work, but having a bit of imagination when dealing with concepts is necessary. you have a road...ok so you can model the road, but the concept doesn't show other bits that might make it look nicer, Light poles, Street lamps, fire hydrants, ect, an artist would be needed to employ that sort of addition to the concept.

Jay, whats say since your an uber mod, you copy some of these last few posts to a different thread for this type of advice, maybe make it sticky, so that your alien character isn't hijacked any further?

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 48 04-01-2010 , 09:49 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hey Guys

coldwave: In my opinion 2d is a must. If you can get yourself on an evening course or class once a week to do it then do so.

2d Art is the absolute foundation of any art, and it serves as a basis in which to establish the forms of any given object albeit organic or otherwise. You get light and shadow for free without having to set anything up, that is something else to learn too. These skills will then hopefully cross into sculpture and 3d and so on.

Also worth doing is carrying a small sketch book around with you, just doodle some stuff in a given time, you'll improve in no time and as I said the skills will show in other areas.

G-Man:

Ahh no worries mate, its all relative to whats being done here, so I'll leave the posts as is, I dont mind.
Anyway as promised from earlier...I think you pretty much know your stuff as far as modelling is concerned. You know a bad mesh when you see one, I think now you just need to take the plunge and do it. You have all the theory in your head, just put it into practice. I had a similar discussion like this at work. My Supe and me both said at the end of the day a model is a model regardless of it form and surface. You just do it. The principle are the same generally.

With organics like a face, have a look in the topology thread, a fairly good face mesh's edge flow pretty much follows the muscle structure of a face. theres a muscle chart there too so check it out. Also look at the first images on this thread and then look in the topology thread, despite this being an Alien, it stiill has the main muscle features in the right places.

everything has form, if you can do a hard surface object then an organic one is no probs, the corners are just....rounder

Jay

# 49 04-01-2010 , 10:23 PM
EduSciVis-er
I copied the 2d/art relevant posts into a new thread in member's lounge as I wanted to respond too. Hope that's ok and I'm not trying to give myself mod control or anything :p.

The alien looks awesome so far, looking forward to seeing it continue!

# 50 04-01-2010 , 10:46 PM
Stwert

no worries, I went one further and deleted your thread but stuck all the relevant stuff in the 2d thread in the members lounge

cheers
Jay

# 51 04-01-2010 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
I see what you're saying about take the plunge and just do it.

I will admit, as hard as it is for me to do so, I like 'instant gratification' Art and modeling always just, came to me ....Hard surface modeling, i never really had to work at, it just flows. yes sure as with us all i have to stop and think of the best way to get something from time to time, but in general.

I suppose i am scared of trying, and A) failing, and B) ending up with something akin to my old ass Catwoman thread from back in the days when Kevin was still kicking, if any of you remember that project.

I suppose i will just take the plunge, though it will have to wait a while, as i am about to start a paid gig. Personal projects always come last eh?

Though when i get around to doing the organics, or if i take a break from the other for a day or so just to get my head right again, Rest assured my friend, i will actually be bugging you for advice and help again, just like in the old days when i was a no body whom came begging at your door for tutelage user added image

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 52 05-01-2010 , 12:39 AM
Very nice work! I'm really liking the character idea too

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 53 05-01-2010 , 02:33 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
nice concept. i like it.

the lips are bubbly, maybe too bubbly?

considering the rest of the head dont exhibit any of the same organic 'bubblyness' [not a real word -_+ ]

maybe make a quick sketch of traditional purky lips on a new layer , and see how it looks?

clean work as always.

user added image

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 54 05-01-2010 , 02:37 PM
Vlad

lips arent anyway near finished mate. Theres a sketch on Outlaws (either sites) for how it will be. See the links below.

your bubblyness
Jay

# 55 05-01-2010 , 04:36 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
wow. just took a look see.

love it mate. hope the 3d come out as nice

user added image

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 56 05-01-2010 , 04:41 PM
So do I mate LOL

Jay

# 57 05-01-2010 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
.....First off, sorry that i turned your thread into what i did there Jay bro, wasnt intentional.

Now, Two questions.. can we get a preview of the hair you said you had instore for this guys chin?.

and...second...
will he alawys be hanging a little to the left? or will his "chinsticals" be dynamic and....wobbly?...I.E. is this Actually a ...forgive me but.....'sack'? and if so will his ....ermm....lil dudes move about in the 'sack'? or is it more of a chin bone that looks like balls?

I know only i am sick enough to ask about that, but.. I have to know user added image

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 58 05-01-2010 , 08:41 PM
G_Man

LMFAO!!! I like that 'chinsticals' AWSOME.

haha

anyway, have a look on the concept art (previous post by Vlad)

Hair will be on that area, though Im playing with the idea of a bit around the upper lip area. Once its all sculpted and the body is there, I will demo the hair.

LOL, no his chin isn't his nutsack, its just a huge chin. It was one of those sketches that just flowed and the chin got steadily bigger as I designed it. I fell in love with the design so left it as is. Its one of those rare drawing/design moments that actually came together leaving me pleased as well. And judging by the comments everyone else does too!!

cheers mate

Jay

# 59 05-01-2010 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
well bro, while i love the design, obviously.

I have to say, the thought of your comic relief character ( for some reason i picture him acting like Jar-Jar binks ) spinning around fast with his 'chinsticals' whipping around in the wind like gods favorite glory hole, made me smile big big.

Non the less, i am however still satisfied with a static shin bulge.

user added image

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 60 05-01-2010 , 08:50 PM
No not the Binksmeister.

He's more Basil Fawlty, a cowardly miserly type. with a Watto accent.

thats food for thought for you....

Jay