Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 18-08-2016 , 05:03 PM

Objects close from one another "auto combine" ??

Many guys on forums ask how to combine objects or weld vertices. Well my problem is the opposite. I create two planes (beginning of a tutorial about creating tileable textures in ZBrush) and as soon as one touches the other, they are kind of combined. But I do not want them to be !
https://youtu.be/huRayswIwIU
Please check the video I posted on youtube and tell me what you think of it !
Thanks in advance. I'm kinda stuck because of that.

https://sketchfab.com/hansolocambo/models
https://www.artstation.com/artist/hansolocambo

Last edited by hansolocambo; 18-08-2016 at 05:06 PM.
# 2 19-08-2016 , 05:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
That's pretty weird. Not sure what's going on, but typically you shouldn't copy and paste geometry, you should duplicate it with Ctrl+d. See if that solves the issue. Also try turning off grid snap.

# 3 20-08-2016 , 08:46 PM
127 views on a website dedicated to Maya and no answer ! user added image
I figured it out by myself : soft selection. In 3DSMax it works differently, that's why the solution to this issue wasn't obvious at first. In Maya, if "soft" is marked ON, it can influence any geometry around. Hence the problem.
Thanks Stwert for having at least tried to think about it user added image

Last edited by hansolocambo; 21-08-2016 at 12:31 PM.
# 4 22-08-2016 , 06:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
It took me a while to figure out how soft selection might create this effect. It only influences multiple meshes if you have set to Global mode. Changing it to the standard "Volume" or even "Surface" mode should make it behave more normally. There's two things that are still odd about your video. 1) I don't remember any soft-selection coloring to indicate that it was on 2) Undoing shouldn't undo the influence separately from undoing the move. Either way, glad you figured it out.

# 5 29-08-2016 , 07:11 PM
1) Well you're absolutely right, for some reason I don't see a coloring that shows me the influence of a soft selection which is not very convenient. There might be an option for that but again, this being my very first installation of Maya, I don't know why my default parameters seems different from others.
2) Undos work fine. It's only when this "bug" happened (it's not a bug, just a soft set to Global mode as you said) that the undo behaves weirdly and only one object "reacts". I need to roll my mouse over the other object to actually see the undo. No big of a deal. user added image