Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-07-2006 , 04:02 AM

polygon question

When creating a Character with a lot of detail, do you have to convert to polygons? Or can you keep your charater in NURBS form? When I convert my character to polygons, I do not get that smoothness like I do with the NURBS form. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but these are my steps: First I take my character and convert from NURBS to Polygons. Second I combined all the polygons together. Step three, I merge them all together. Step four I convert polygons to subdiv. Now is this the right way to do this? And also can I just leave my character in NURBS form?

# 2 13-07-2006 , 01:46 PM
when you're creating a character with lots of detail you can do it with any form of modeling... in polys you smooth, in subd you add a level of detail, and in nurbs you just add isoparms or hulls. there's no wrong or right, it all depends on preference and ease of use for the modeler. if you want to keep going in nurbs, do it! the poly police aren't gonna break down your door and arrest you.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 13-07-2006 , 04:43 PM
I was worried about those dam police, lol. Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm still a beginner and the few tutorials I've seen all convert to ploygons, so I figured this was the procedure. Anyways, thank you for replying.

# 4 13-07-2006 , 05:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
in my own opinion, polygons are the easiest and most effective geometry type to use. But all are of course, viable. Just a matter of preference.