Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-05-2009 , 10:17 AM
Subscriber

Shiny metal

I'm doing an electric guitar in maya and im stuck on the bridge for a shiny metal shader.
Can someone help me please!!

Im Back and now 13 (:

Autume Challenge Nov 09
# 2 06-06-2009 , 03:22 PM
Technical Director
If you press the presets button on an mia material, you can select from a list of standard materials. Glass, metal, etc. They usually give you a good starting point.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 06-06-2009 , 03:29 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by taquion
This works well in mental ray with raytracing global ilumination and final gathering activated.

woah! thats a bit excessive. you can get a good metal if you have an environment to reflect... thats all you really need plus a little raytracing.

you should get a blinn with the colour set to black and then play around with the reflections and stuff. it would be a good way to learn rather then using any presets or whatever.

# 4 06-06-2009 , 03:30 PM
Subscriber
Assign a mia material x to the object and adjust the settings like in this picture, but all depends on the light conditions and the way you plan to render it. This works well in mental ray with raytracing global ilumination and final gathering activated.

Sorry, I posted a wrong picture, i post it again.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 08-06-2009 , 02:47 AM
Technical Director
taquion, as hammer.horror has said, that's a bit overkill. You don't need mentalray to create a good looking shader. Once you turn raytracing on, even in the software renderer, the objects will start reflecting. This is due to the Reflectivity attribute in the shader's attributes.

Play around with a blinn shader in software before trying to use mentalray. Trust me, it will make you, and your computer, a lot happier user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.