Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-02-2010 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber

Haz-Matt - W.I.P Short Film By Tweetytunes

At last, after almost a year of planning the short film I`m working on has started.

user added image

“Haz- Matt” is the story of a post-apocalyptic scavenger who is in search of items of use and food with a little joking in it. The main set is set within a department store, with 3 main characters and 3 possible locations.

Storyboards, Script and concepts are all finally done. Timing is perfect as well as I just got a new I7 PC. 3 man team working on this project - The modelling is being done by me, as well as the fact it’s my story/outline (My little Baby). Someone else made outline in to the finally screenplay and the storyboards for me and he will be working on the SFX and music and then another working on the animation and lighting – although I`m hoping to be involved as much as possible on all areas. We are hoping to get it done in a year. We are aiming for 6 min`s of animation. For the look and feel of the film we have all agreed that it should look a little like Blur studios "Rockfish" , but taking ref from loads of other sources like Mad Max and Fallout 3.

Once I track down some drivers for my scanner I`ll post up some images. I have been dying to get started on this for a long time now. And today I get to start on the first set – Whoo hoo

Last edited by tweetytunes; 17-02-2010 at 08:00 PM.
# 2 16-02-2010 , 10:42 PM
waiting for it buddy sounds cool!

# 3 18-02-2010 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
user added image

Well that 1 prop done 100 or so more to go.

This simple trolley took way too long - tricky little things to make it turns out.

# 4 18-02-2010 , 01:00 PM
Subscriber
Small re-jiggle with some of the parts so it can be stacked together and now set up to animate (wheels and flap)

user added image

# 5 18-02-2010 , 01:43 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Sounds like a fun project.

Nice work on the trolley.

Side note: When I tried to access this thread at first I got this warning from my browser:

"The website at srv01.simply3dworld.com contains elements from the site www.mtmckinley.net, which appears to host malware "

Don't know what that's all about.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 18-02-2010 at 03:25 PM.
# 6 18-02-2010 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
its the trophys gifs from mikes site - I have told him about it before - its something to do with a brower

# 7 18-02-2010 , 03:26 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by tweetytunes
its the trophys gifs from mikes site - I have told him about it before - its something to do with a brower

Yeah, sounds about right, it only started when I started using Chrome.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 8 18-02-2010 , 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
I'll be watching this thread. The whole thing sounds like a lot of fun, and I wish you fellas the best of luck.

- Genny
# 9 18-02-2010 , 10:38 PM
Subscriber
Cheers

user added image

Here is a wire frame.

The trolley looks worse than it is - it just looks heavy in the screen grab but it really is not. It may need some changes but I`ll see once I have the cameras shorted out.

Also here are some small boxes - going to do about 20 or so different boxes to use as props (3 down)

user added image

# 10 18-02-2010 , 10:42 PM
The thin red line
Looking good, I think the wheels are just a little to small, I could be wrong........dave

# 11 20-02-2010 , 05:33 PM
Looking good!

Waiting for updates

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 12 20-02-2010 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
Cheers

Yer things coming alone quickly but I think its because I am focusing on the props so once I make the backgrounds I can just populate the scene quickly. Made a lot more boxes (low poly simple boxes and then more detailed ones with flaps) and some shelving and have ruffed out the environment (also set up the UV`s for that) and made some fire doors (single and Double) - Will post some images of that after - Off to make some more shelving.

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 20-02-2010 at 08:16 PM.
# 13 20-02-2010 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
user added image

# 14 20-02-2010 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
Here is a little breakdown of the first part of the film as I still not found any drivers for scanner......

user added image

Section 1

Description of area

Section is a service tunnel of a shopping centre.
Blue box is homeless shelter – made of rubbish.
Green section is a blockage of some king – thinking trolleys and boards.
Not all lights on – so very dark. Lights powered by batteries not mains.
Character may have touch – not sure yet.
Lots of rubbish around shelter which will give a lived in feel.
Sound of scanner going of every so often.

Points of Action on Map

1. Character enters building. Looks at scanner.
2. While walking past a trolley (on its side) spins a wheel (not looking at it).
3. Pulls on door but chained up.
4. Looks though some boxes on floor, finds nothing.
5. Sees dead guy in make shift shelter, looks for items, fines nothing.
6. Opens door (very stiff), looks though small room, nothing worthwhile, closes door again.
7. Opens door, scanner goes off again.
8. Exits down stairs

Props needed

Trolley, Shelter, Body, Boxes, Doors, Lights, Batteries, rubbish, chains, scanner.

# 15 07-03-2010 , 08:29 PM
Subscriber
Hi guys

Been stuck at work for most the week - bloody "alice in wonderland" but have done some work on the project mostly texture work.

But I have hit a wall. While trying out some lighting on the environment for the first part (mainly just to see what the textures would look like) I came to the concision that I cant light at all. I have no idea what lights to use or how to set them up at all.

The corridor is light completely by strip lights on the walls.

Now looking at the local shopping centre these work really well in lighting the whole corridor as there is no outside light.

But what light to use, and how would I get them to the right shape of a strip light ???

Any help would be great.

Will post some of the texture work once I have the lighting sorted as I pleased with it.