Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-03-2003 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber

Jazz'em up

I stumbled across a recording of Glenn Miller and Louis Armstrong and felt inspired to do some Jazz characters.. Naturally i got carried away and have this huge scenarie in my head.

anyways.. i've started roughing out the head of the trumpet dude user added image He is not supposed to look like anyone particular but the main inspiration is from the voice of Louis Armstrong..

user added image

Kindly

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 2 26-03-2003 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber
Nice idea Kim.

Im looking forward to see some development.

Kühl
# 3 26-03-2003 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber
and development you shall have user added image

i have made the eyes now or the beginning of them. He still needs eyelids and such but that will come later..

Now would probably be a good time to start tweaking the nose. It has gotten rather huge hehe..

user added image

Kindly

Kim

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
# 4 26-03-2003 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber
gave him a nose job and added a bit of detail around the eyes user added image

user added image

Rotbol

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
# 5 26-03-2003 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber
Nice Kim.

Looks very nice.
I know youre not done with him, but I think you should pull the eyebrow-erea out a bit, to give him a stronger character.
Is he supposed to be blowing a horn ?
BTW, how did you start this model up... ? Nurbs sphere? Poly box? Create Poly Tool ? or something else ?

One other thing. Nice to see some more people from DK visiting this forum. I was beginning to think I was all alone ;-)

Kühl
# 6 27-03-2003 , 04:34 AM
Subscriber
Yes he definitely needs more character! right now he looks kinda dull i think.. I havent really started detailing yet as im still not happy with the basic shape..

If all goes well, he is supposed to be playing a trumpet and sing. I need to do some work on the lips and open his mouth a bit.

I started this model with a basic polycube, and splitpolygon to get a good basic shape. When i was sadisfied with the rough basicshape i followed up with ConnectPolyShape. Im thinking about trying my hand at SubD for final detailing, but i dont know user added image

We are at least 3 from DK that i'm aware of, so yeah.. we're taking over :yipee: user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
# 7 31-03-2003 , 11:14 AM
Subscriber
time for another update..

i have spend a lot of time rebuilding the face, because the curveflow wasnt suitable for animation. It still needs some work but now im getting somewhere user added image

I have also opened his mouth a bit, and i've started building his body.. i think im going for white shirt and butterfly..

It seems as the facial rebuild gave him a bit of character too.. user added image

user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
# 8 31-03-2003 , 11:18 AM
Hey he is getting rather cool !!

Maybe you should start making some eyebrows.. looking forward to see those.. if you have any trouble, you know you can call me..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S

Last edited by caligraphics; 31-03-2003 at 11:20 AM.