Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 31-07-2003 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber

Softbodie Flag

Im maknig a flag out of softbodies and wanted too know how to make the left side of the flag stay stiff, while the rest of the flag waves.I tried to paint the weights on it but it wouldnt let me for some reason.

# 2 01-08-2003 , 09:13 AM
Subscriber
I saw Alias had a tutorial on their webiste on the same thing but for some reason it's gone now since they did the site changes.....

but I did the same thing and it worked fine for me... what do you mean the weights do not work?

-Emo

# 3 01-08-2003 , 02:38 PM
That was my question too...

Could you go over the exact steps you took, so I may try and re-create your problem?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 01-08-2003 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
Ok well after i create a softbodie out of polygon plane i pick the flag and go to "Paint soft bodie weight tool" .My problem is that when i do i dont see a grey or white area where the weights would be to manipulate them.

As i said before i would like to get the left side of the flag stay stiff, kind of like if it was on a pole so i can get effects to get the rest of the flag waving.

I know Emo,it's just my luck that when i finally need a tutorial on the subject they go ahead and take it down.lol

# 5 01-08-2003 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by foxhound
Ok well after i create a softbodie out of polygon plane i pick the flag and go to "Paint soft bodie weight tool" .My problem is that when i do i dont see a grey or white area where the weights would be to manipulate them.

As i said before i would like to get the left side of the flag stay stiff, kind of like if it was on a pole so i can get effects to get the rest of the flag waving.

I know Emo,it's just my luck that when i finally need a tutorial on the subject they go ahead and take it down.lol

ok there is 2 problems i can think of.
  • you dont have color feedback enabled in display section of attribute paint tool
  • you are in wireframe mode (4-key) you need to be in shaded mode
and a suggestion as i just played with it - if you create the softbody, make it with goal weight of 1.0 and then paint the weight for the flag to e.g. 0.5 and leave the part of the pole at 1.0. with the default goal weight of 0.5 the flag cannot be painted to stay in place (as the weights are limited to 0-1). and depending on how it looks like, it might be worth to make the flag slowly going softer and softer (so that the weights go from 1 to 0 the more you go away from the pole).

hope that made sense ...

# 6 01-08-2003 , 11:01 PM
DAM! hehe... you beat me to the explanation BabyDuckuser added image

Rock on with your bad self m8!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 01-08-2003 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
The options you said before were checked in the attribute editor and it just turned the poly softbodie plane to black with the green wireframe.I attached a picture to show exactly how it looks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 01-08-2003 , 11:31 PM
Subscriber
lol opps, looks like the picture didnt finish uploading.Here it is again.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 02-08-2003 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
did you get a paint brush that you can paint the side with?

-Emo

# 10 02-08-2003 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
Ya i did.Sorry it was not in the picture.

# 11 02-08-2003 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber
foxhound, can you use any other artisan tool? like the sculpt surface tool. maybe your pen (if you use a graphics tablet) is too sensitive. if it is black, it means that the weight is 0. try flooding and see if it turns grey. and you might want to use the clamp values and turn both of them to 1.0 and see if when you paint it turns white. it could be a graphics card problem. oh and if you dont mind, disable all the xp slowdowns - let is optimize for speed and not for good look (what microsoft alone considers good look). not sure where to find it in the english xp, but somewhere control panel->system->enhanced->visual effects or similiar.

hope you get artisan to work with paint softbody weights. oh, but one thing i miss - is that stupid warning - my maya always prints the annoying warning that - you can use this tool only if you created the softbody with goal weight. even when i did that user added image

# 12 02-08-2003 , 10:35 AM
Subscriber
oh and another thing - dont use "add", use "replace" instead. otherwise it could be a pain in the butt to paint exact values ...

# 13 10-08-2003 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber
Sorry it took so long to answer back but i had a family emergency.Umm yes i can use the other artisan tools.i think im at the point that ill just constrain the end of the flag to a couple locators but im having trouble with the effects like wind,turbulance and gravity to simulate a waving flag.Ill go ahead and post that problem in another forum.