Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-06-2014 , 10:42 PM

How to overlap UVs in Maya

Hi,

Currently I created a cube to test some UV features in Maya. I want that each face of the cube share the same UV space since I am planning to apply the same image to all the cube faces. I see somehow that whitin UV Texture Editor is not possible to accomplish this task.

Someone has an idea abotu how to do that?

# 2 15-06-2014 , 10:48 PM
Lifetime Member
With the cube selected go to the UV texture editor and select Polygons>Cut UV Edges then go to Polygons>Unitize. This will make them all share the same UV space.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 17-06-2014 , 02:46 AM
Hi MrYetit

Thanks for the information, I forgot to mention that the cube is subdivided (plan to add deformation later using a shader). Cube modeled is composed of small tiles. When I use the solution you described It uinitize for each tile.

Finally I decided to use the following script:

https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/sc...hade-uv-editor

Taht helped me to normalize and stretch to the UV boundaries the selected faces

Thanks

# 4 27-07-2015 , 05:32 AM
Hi there
What would it be the workflow in Maya with Overlapping UVs , especially to auto layout them ?

There is no option dedicated to that and the only one that I've found is in the auto layout function that unfortunately does not work

So I've come out with this workflow , please let me know what are your thought and if there is a easier way to do it .

• Build the Low Poly model using instances for the objects you want to overlap on the UV space.
• Auto Lay Out the single not overlapping shells UV shells.
• When you're ready to export , make a copy of the Low Poly with all the instances merged in one object : this will delete the instance node and assign an overlapping UV shell for each instance element.