Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 05-09-2005 , 02:44 PM
Lifetime Member
OK first off we cannot view the texture because you forgot to include the texture file in the zip.You need to zip the texture file along with the .mb file as the material is linked to your file in your documents and settings folder.

Also when I was checking the .mb file I noticed you have a duplicate model (one on top of the other ) , did you realise this ?

# 17 05-09-2005 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
Oops, I didn't even realize that I had to do this. I will attach the texture to this post, unless I need to actually ZIP it with the other file, which, if that is so, I'm not sure how to do, since the combined file size would most likely be larger than the max attach file size.

About the duplicate image, no I didn't realize this, but does it really make a difference?

Attached Files
File Type: zip giraffepolygontutorialuv2.zip (126.3 KB, 157 views)
# 18 05-09-2005 , 05:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok after checking the .mb file I see that neither of the two giraffes have been UV mapped , I am not sure how you managed you do this as you obviously had a UV map to work to with the texture file.Once I remapped the model the texture covered fine,I only used automatic mapping but I beleive thats what you used originally.

Regarding the duplicate model..yes you should delete it and always try to keep your scene as clean as possible or you maight find weird problems showing up later on your project.

# 19 06-09-2005 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jsprogg
Ok after checking the .mb file I see that neither of the two giraffes have been UV mapped , I am not sure how you managed you do this as you obviously had a UV map to work to with the texture file.Once I remapped the model the texture covered fine,I only used automatic mapping but I beleive thats what you used originally.

Regarding the duplicate model..yes you should delete it and always try to keep your scene as clean as possible or you maight find weird problems showing up later on your project.

Oh, see I automatic mapped it to get the UV into photoshop, but maybe I didn't save it as being mapped, and then just opened it as unmapped. Thanks very much man, that really helps user added image

# 20 09-09-2005 , 01:39 PM
Subscriber
Ok, update time. I dropped doing the giraffe for a while to do some other tutorials, but I've gone back to adding some textures, which has brought about a new problem :attn: Now, when I apply the giraffe fur texture, it goes on properly. That's good. The thing is, I'm not sure exactly how to get the fur to look real, so that it connects properly. I know that Mike said in his tutorial to use the clone stamp tool, but this doesn't work with giraffe fur because each of the dots need to connect properly and need to be whole dots. I'll post the .mb file showing my problem to see if anyone can help me with this, as I'm sure if I learn this now, it will really help me in the future as well.

Cheers.

Attached Files
File Type: zip giraffeltexturingproblem.zip (36.6 KB, 151 views)