Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-08-2003 , 05:49 PM

SPLASH ME!

Has anyone here ever done a water splash? I need to do a space ship crashing into the ocean with a big splash and my first attempt looks like crap. So, if anyone has any tips, or has seen any good reference, or just has a goos suggestion as to how to go about this I'm all ears.

Thanks kiddies.

user added image

# 2 13-08-2003 , 11:01 PM
Wow... that's a biggieuser added image

Could you post a playblast of what you've got so far?

..and give a little detail of the emitters, rates, fields, etc?

Thanks!

PS, I think I can help you with this one, as it is a LOT like my last explosion tut, so lemme knowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 14-08-2003 , 12:31 AM
Hey Rage,

Well this is what I did so far, but it really does suck.

I made a loft object with the same profile of the ship into a surface emitter. That way it would emit particles in all directions from the space ship. I made the particles blobs.

Movie version 1

In this one you can see the emitter towards the end.

Movie version 2

In this one I tried to go bigger but I over did it and my 1 GB of RAM wasn't enough to keep the render from crapping out. Attached is the Maya file of this version.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files
File Type: zip shotz.zip (276.3 KB, 203 views)
# 4 14-08-2003 , 08:41 PM
Hey Rage,

I have something a little more under control

movie version 3

The thing is, I can't get the blobs to motion blur. Is it possible? You can see the other objects in the shot are blurring like crazy. I noticed there is no motion blur button under render stats. Is it that particles cannot 3d blur?

Thanks.

# 5 20-08-2003 , 01:49 AM
Rage, Did you ever get a chance to think this one through?

# 6 20-08-2003 , 05:21 AM
SORRY! hehe.. been a little hectic with my Maya machine deaduser added image

To render particles in software with Motion Blur, you must either turn on the particle's Cache Data attribute or select Solvers > Create Particle Disk Cache. Otherwise, the particle may behave erratically, when rendered.

BUT, ironicly the docs go on to state that:
"General motion blur limitations:
Motion blur does not work with software particles. "

WTF???? ...gotta LOVE Maya sometimes....

Sorry man.

Looks like this is a job for a post-render blur.

So, basicly, you might just have to just render out your particles in another layer, and composite it in post with motion blur using your compositor.

Anyhoo, also I managed to find a tip you might want to think about:

* Usualy, the Inside edges of blobby surfaces seen through other blobby surfaces are not anti-aliased.
Workaround:
Increase Render Quality > particleSamples to 4 or 8 when very high quality is desired.

So, If your water shader is transparent at all, you will want to Increase the particle samples in Render Globals to get a better look.
BUT, since they fly past your camera so fast, I don't think that's too much of a problem here.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 26-08-2003 , 08:33 PM
Hey Rage,

I finally have something I like. Check it out. It's like 8 different splash render layers with diffent blob, streak, and multistreak settings, as well as shadder tweaks. The layered in After Affects with some blur filters, various opacities, and a touch of noise.

The green screen shot at the end is obviously stand-in until the interior modeling is completed.

Let me know what you think.

-dann

https://www.freshlettuce.net/~tarmy/s...s/ShotZ10e.mov

# 8 26-08-2003 , 08:41 PM
WOW. that one awsome effect/me laughs about the shaking guys at the end user added image

# 9 26-08-2003 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
lol i dont get the guys at the end but it looks funny

-Emo

# 10 27-08-2003 , 12:04 AM
Hehehe.....I love that splash

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 11 27-08-2003 , 01:23 AM
Hahahaha! What the hell are those guys doing at the end? Is that supposed to be what the guys in the space ship are doing? like in Star Trek where they launch themselves all over the place? user added image

# 12 27-08-2003 , 01:37 AM
I beleive it is. I hope they are not going for seriousness :/

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 13 27-08-2003 , 02:01 AM
Haha i found out that the guys that are wobbling are from an australian kids TV Show called Wobblies or something like that, where they shudder around like god knows what and sing.

# 14 27-08-2003 , 03:31 AM
ROCK ON DUDE!!!

What a great job you have done!

The things you learned by doing this will lead you to LOTS of ways to use Maya's dynamics system in the future!

PERFECT use of multiple particle types, and timing is spot-on!

Like I always say, if you get the dynamics, timing, and animation of your particles right, getting the physical "look" (shader-color-etc) of your particles is more fun IMHO.

The hard part is done my friend.

Now the fun begins!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 15 27-08-2003 , 05:13 AM
Thanks everyone.

OK, so you all know, I'm working on some shots for an independant film, and this is my first Maya project. (formerly a 3DS Max guy). I'm doing it in Maya as an exercise to learn Maya.

The film is intentionally cheesy in the style of Flash Gordon. It's supposed to be goofy, and funny. They film makers are going for the midnight film festival crowd.