Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-04-2012 , 10:30 PM

UV Mapping Difficulties

Hey everyone.

I have an object. I select the faces I want to UV map and assign a new material to those faces. I then save the UV snapshot, paint over them in Photoshop, and load the image onto the surface.

I usually have about 12 .tga files associated with my one object which is very inefficient.

I would LIKE to know how to have all of my object's faces as ONE material, and create one single UV snapshot with all of my desired UV mappings within that one file for me to paint over in Photoshop.

However, every time I try to do that, it appears that my most recent UV has disappeared in the UV editor window, replacing it with the one I just took.

Sorry if this is vague, hard to explain this.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Brady

# 2 24-04-2012 , 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
You probably have it set to create a new uv set with each projection, go into the projection options and uncheck it.

- Genny
# 3 24-04-2012 , 10:45 PM
I just looked but that option is unchecked.

# 4 24-04-2012 , 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
I just went over the original post and this confused me a bit:

However, every time I try to do that, it appears that my most recent UV has disappeared in the UV editor window, replacing it with the one I just took.

This sounds like exactly what should happen. Unless I'm being really slow today.user added image

- Genny
# 5 24-04-2012 , 11:14 PM
Hahaha it's OK.

My main goal is to group ALL of my UV projections onto the one area on the top-right in the UV editor so I can paint over all of them at once with one UV snapshot, instead of separate UV snapshots.

Since I feel like they are disappearing every time, I can't seem to accomplish this.

# 6 25-04-2012 , 03:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Wild guess here. You are in face selection mode in the perspective viewport?

# 7 25-04-2012 , 04:33 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
So if my guess is right, try to select every object you have mapped, then send out the UV map. If this does not work, my next guess would be to mayhap, group all the objects you are trying to send out as a single UV map, make sure that the map is where you want it to be, then after selecting all of the objects or the single group, send it out as single UV map. I hope this makes sense.

# 8 25-04-2012 , 06:15 AM
Lifetime Member
If you have mapped singular faces and assigned different materials or textures then yes they will disappear depending on which is selected in the UV edoitor viewport. ( If I have this right?). Can you please post a screen shot on what you are doing Brady? this will make it a lot easier to solve. I am assuming you are trying to UV and texture a singular object? not multiple? If its a singular object (geo shape depending) in Create UV there are quite a few options on how you want to UV......

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 25-04-2012 , 08:48 AM
The thin red line
Try assigning 1 shader to all your faces, if your parts are seperate combine them and again assigne 1 shader to them(you can always seperate at a later date if needed)..............dave

# 10 26-04-2012 , 08:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone -

But yes, it is a single object. I selected all faces on this object and assigned a new material.

I then selected several large groups of faces and UV mapped them until every face on the object was mapped.

I then placed all of these separate UV maps into my UV editor window and took a snapshot.

I did what I wanted to do, have just ONE UV snapshot of ALL my UV's for my ONE object and then end up only having ONE .tga file for the object's texture.

I just felt like the process was a little bizarre, but I guess it works for me lol.

Thanks again everyone.

# 11 26-04-2012 , 08:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
No it makes sense what youve done. 1 material and then making separate uv shells from the object in 1 uv tile to make a snapshot....nothing wrong there

Jay