Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 09-04-2012 , 06:49 PM

Maya<Minecraft>

Okay I basically built my MineCraft character rig, but I'm having trouble with it at the same time. I inserted the bones,and the edge loop tool for the knees and the elbows, but when ever I try to smooth bind the skin it wont let me. I get a message at the bottom of Maya saying, "//Error: You must select at least one joint" I selected a joint, and it's still saying the exact same thing.

I'm new at this so please forgive my <noobieness>
user added image

# 2 09-04-2012 , 09:16 PM
Technical Director
Attaching a screenshot of the problem would help you get assistance faster.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 17-04-2012 at 09:04 PM.
# 3 16-04-2012 , 04:22 PM

Okay I basically built my MineCraft character rig, but I'm having trouble with it at the same time. I inserted the bones,and the edge loop tool for the knees and the elbows, but when ever I try to smooth bind the skin it wont let me. I get a message at the bottom of Maya saying, "//Error: You must select at least one joint" I selected a joint, and it's still saying the exact same thing.

I'm new at this so please forgive my <noobieness>
user added image

Maybe its time to revisit the Maya Doc tutorials. A little look-up wouldn't hurt. Would it?

# 4 16-04-2012 , 04:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Typically you have to select the root Joint first and then the mesh that you want to bind. Also what type of geometry are you trying to bind is it polys?

- Jake