Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 10-09-2010 , 10:35 AM
Lifetime Member
Bahahahahaha LOL ok...highlight/select the WHOLE model....then hit extrude, when you have extrude in the scene...hit the BLUE circle..(experiment)....then hit one of the coloured cubes, this will produce a BLUE cube in the centre of the tool...this is basically an extrude/scale.

Experiment.....you have to play with Maya and its tools like I do to learn mate. Im here to help in my capacity but Im a noob too. Play with it...se what it does..etc.

Have fun, bullet

PS I was planting more vegetables in my potted garden...sorry for the delay. AND your box/carton looks good!!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 10-09-2010 , 06:37 PM
Did some experimenting,
Houston, we got thickness.

I also edited the model a bit, closing the gaps between flaps and carton they are attached to, looks very good! apart from the interior texture lol, can you describe how I can apply my other texture (scan of carton's interior) to the interior faces?

user added image

# 18 10-09-2010 , 09:12 PM
EduSciVis-er
Simply select the faces and apply a new material. (RMB > new material)

# 19 10-09-2010 , 11:13 PM
Lifetime Member
yep..I agree with stwert..LOL pipped again..LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 11-09-2010 , 09:54 PM
Ok working on the formal last bits now, grouping/layering the objects correctly, solving errors. I am supposed to fix non-planar faces, I found them by using the cleanup function, and have it to select them instead of cleaning them up. Problem is, I just won't understand what non-planar faces are... I assumed they are faces that are not flat, when faces have 4 or more vertices and on different heights. But I have these faces with 3 vertices that show up as non-planars, so I have no clue lol, thus I do not know how to fix them.

# 21 11-09-2010 , 11:04 PM
EduSciVis-er
That's odd... are you sure you don't have anything else checked off in the cleanup options? You're right about the non-planar faces, but I don't know about 3-sided.

# 22 12-09-2010 , 08:07 AM
Can one give me a clear description of the following terms, wich are errors that have to be solved in this case:

Non planar face
Ngon

I passed the file to a 2nd year student and he told me it is full of these, running cleanup tool, selected for example: non planar faces, but still, I have no idea what it means or how to fix it

user added image

Last edited by Stannoman; 12-09-2010 at 08:11 AM.
# 23 12-09-2010 , 09:00 AM
The thin red line

# 24 12-09-2010 , 09:14 AM
Lifetime Member
You used the create polygon tool right mate?? Im curious as to why the wire is as it is??

When I create a polygon shape...I try to keep the verts opposite each other as much as possible...so the top verts will be directly above the bottom verts on a plane..

Yes you are right about the non-planar...basically if they have been distorted by deletion of edges etc but the 3D face is still there. So when you delete and edge or loop you have to delete the remnant verts as well.

check out the tut by ctbram..he is very good at this kind of puzzle.

cheers bullet

PS I cant see or have 3D face clean up either

bullet1968

# 25 12-09-2010 , 08:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
An n-gon is a polygon with more than 4 edges. Basically faces are divided into tris (3), quads (4) and n-gons (5+). These are typically avoided in modelling for a number of reasons. Hope that helps.

# 26 13-09-2010 , 06:32 AM
Cool, seems I did understand these aspects after all, what got me confused was: I sent the file to a year 2 student so he could check for errors aswell, but he uses Maya 2009, while I use 2011. He opened the file and found a lot of Ngons and Non-planar faces, while I could not find them by running the cleanup tool, and I was pretty sure I didnt have any anyway. So we assume something went weird when transfering the 2011 file to maya 2009. Good thing our teachers use 2011.

Just froze the transformations, should be ready to hand in now.

Also a question: One of the criteria is:

File (.rar/.zip) must contain Maya file and image file.

But wich files do I have to include, as I see there are 3 types.

1. The .tga files edited in Photoshop.
2. The .tga.swatch files
3. The .mb.swatch files

user added image

Last edited by Stannoman; 13-09-2010 at 07:57 AM.
# 27 13-09-2010 , 04:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
I'm not exactly sure what the .swatch files are or where they came from but I'm pretty sure you can safely exclude those. The targas and maya binary should be sufficient.

# 28 14-09-2010 , 04:55 PM
Ok thanks (to all who have helped user added image).