Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-02-2008 , 03:15 PM

kian.tern FX-01-2008

OK I'm not sure I'll be able to complete the entire challenge,
due to lack of time, but I'll try my best to get as far as possible.

When I saw the challenge, I've got the idea right away,
inspired by a movie I recently saw, Cloverfield.
The idea is simple, shot by a "hand held" camera.
A giant tentacle or maybe a bunch of smaller
ones pierce the dam.

I'll post the detailed scenario a bit later (maybe even with some pictures).

Good luck to everyone.

# 2 13-02-2008 , 03:22 PM
Sweet! Can't wait!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 13-02-2008 , 04:21 PM
Here we go.
This is the basic concept of the animation.

1. First tentacle comes up from under the water and hits the upper part of the dam.
2 Second tentacle grabs the tower (or whatever it is), holds it a bit in the air and, "5" throws it towards the camera man, ending the video.
Meanwhile
3 and 4 piercing the dam catching some momentum and breaking out as the arrows show.

I didn't want to use the lower part of the dam because it gets very thick and it won't be realistic for the tentacles to pierce it.

The scene will take place at a day time.
The tentacles and the parts of the dam they break are going to be CGI anyway and the architecture is quite simple
so I think it will be best to do it all full CGI.
Maybe I'll add some additional tentacles which will rise out of the water and just "hang around" to make the creature look bigger.

This is not final but I suppose this is the way it will go. One thing for sure there won't be any full creature shots
user added image

https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9320/basicgc6.jpg

# 4 14-02-2008 , 07:23 AM
Started to work on a pre-viz animation.
There will be no dam break yet, just going to figure out the tentacles, and camera movement.
After this stage is finished I'll mark up the parts of the dam that need to break and begin detailed modeling.
This is a render of the dam model I'll use in a pre-viz

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 15-02-2008 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber

I didn't want to use the lower part of the dam because it gets very thick and it won't be realistic for the tentacles to pierce it.

right... we are talking about a tentacle piercing a dam... and you tell me sth about 'not realistic'.. user added image

looks good so far..

# 6 15-02-2008 , 02:03 AM
Well yeah user added image but although the scene is not a realistic one,
I think every effort should be made to make it look like realistic. And if I was the monster with the tentacles destroying the Hoover dam (LOL) I would go for the thiner parts. But you gave me a cool idea maybe I'll try to show somehow that the monster actually tries to break the thicker parts and then goes for the thiner.

# 7 15-02-2008 , 02:28 AM
Subscriber
no prob user added image

# 8 15-02-2008 , 04:21 AM
Done some animation for the first tentacle.
It went a bit berserk and destroyed the tower things too user added image.
I guess I'll need two more tentacles with the same uncontrollable behavior and I'm done with the previz
(well there is the camera, but it shouldn't be too hard).
As I said before I'm just figuring out the motion so no stuning FX... yet... user added image

Attached Files
File Type: rar ani-pre-17.02.2008.rar (38.3 KB, 167 views)
# 9 15-02-2008 , 07:09 AM
It went very fast with the second tentacle and the camera (draft camera of course). So here is the version 1 of the pre-viz animation. I don't want to get into the motion details, or environment creation, so I guess this one is ok as a draft. I rendered it with a single light source. At the end there is a strange camera movement, I meant to just rotate camera away from the dam but for some reason, it turns back a bit. The "shacky" camera animation is done on purpose, to add the hend held camera feeling. The final animation will be a lot more shacky. I guess there won't be a very clear shot of the tentacles, but still I'm going to make them very detailed.
Any comment and/or suggestions are welcomed.
The animation is in quick time format.

Edit: Can't Attach the file for some reason you can get it here
if there is a better place to upload the animation please tell me. I hate rapidshare

Last edited by kian.tern; 15-02-2008 at 07:13 AM.
# 10 15-02-2008 , 03:25 PM
Upload it to youtube.com

Surely you've heard of youtube. user added image

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 11 16-02-2008 , 12:14 AM
Not sure why it didn't work for ya this time around, as your rar file was fine.

The QT file was small enough, so it should have worked?
If it happens to you again, I'll setup a test thread and investigate some things before we all start loading up the serveruser added image

Oh, sorry louis56, but PLEASE, DO NOT use youtube for your FINAL submision!
Thier hardware RE-Encodes your already encoded movie to an flv using the On2vp56 codec which for our purposes is horrible, and unacceptable.

HOWEVER, for all of your test animations/playblasts, and previs stuff, youTube is no problemuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 12 16-02-2008 , 04:40 AM

# 13 16-02-2008 , 12:12 PM
Yeah youtube isnt built for good quality as you say.

That looks pretty kool. Can totally see the hand held feel.

Louis

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 14 16-02-2008 , 12:50 PM
Nice previs!

Can't wait to see your progress over the next 2 months on this oneuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 15 17-02-2008 , 06:02 AM
First render + wireframe of the dam WIP.
Started with some lofts and trimming to get the base surface,
converted to polygons and added the details. Currently the wireframe is in a very bad shape near the edges, but I don't think I'll touch it, as it won't be animated and as long is doesn't show artifacts it's fine. Now I'll continue with blocking out the power station and the rest of the environment.

Attached Thumbnails