Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 30-08-2008 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber

Scooby Doo

I haven't posted much of my work here. In fact it has been a very long time since I have posted much of anything. But I hope that the fact that this was a challenge in another website. But I was very pleased on how it had turned out and wanted to share it here as I visited here alot everyday.

I was supposed to make a 3D render of a 2D cartoon character. I had chosen Scooby Doo and used the a picture I had found as reference.

And I had an idea to have Scooby going to a scary movie at a Drive-In (I am Old and remember them!).

The biggest challenge for me was the decals on the van. I am not an artist and can't draw worth S__T! But I came up with an idea that I could model them and render them and use them in my textures. I was pleased on how it turned out.

I have not done any composting till this and did at least 10 or 12 composite layers. I wanted to get the shadowing of the different lights correct.

Hope you like it!! ;-)

2D:
https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t.../ScoobyVan.jpg

3D (My finished version):
https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ster_Scene.jpg

P.S. I have had some wine and hope this post works ok!! ;-)

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).

Last edited by oldhippie_tom; 30-08-2008 at 07:47 AM.
# 2 30-08-2008 , 07:51 AM
ha ha - nice job mate - i like this a lot - a few textures look a little bright and colorful, but given this is based on a cartoon, i don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

the van maybe looks a little small and i think it would be nice to add more variation to the spec map as it's looking a bit shiny all over.

but overall this is great - i like it a lot - let's see some more images of the van please!

enjoy your wine. user added image

# 3 30-08-2008 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber
Arron, thank you very much for the kind words. I am sorry that this is the only view of it I have. I had installed Vista and had some problems and lost my .ma file for it.

I had spent WAY TOO much time working on how to do the decals and only had a few days left when I had found how I could do it. So I became rushed at the end. If the van seems big then maybe I was off there.

By the way!! I remember you older avatar and wondered if you had seen Cheech and Chong are back together for a tour? Just curious as an Old Hippie keeps up on those things!!

Thanks Arron!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 4 30-08-2008 , 08:24 AM
ha ha - yeah - i did see that - should be a laugh. i thought i heard that they might be making another film too.... or maybe i made that up. user added image

did you see pineapple express? definitely worth seeing if you didn't... user added image

# 5 30-08-2008 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
Yes Arran, I had seen that. You do have a side to you! HaHaHa!!

I saw Cheech and Chong on the news when they announced the tour. They both look very old. But I guess they are. And Tommy Chong looked very shaky. But I can bet they should have me laughing till I cry.!! ;-)

# 6 30-08-2008 , 08:21 PM
So, I take it you are a mel brooks fan? Those movies are great.

The van looks nice too, but I agree that it looks a bit small

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 7 30-08-2008 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Joopson!! It seems I would have been better off to have made a WIP for it as I was working on it. I just remembered that the ticket booths were tall, but It seems I got carried away!!

Yes, I like Mel Brooks alot. When Blazing Saddles came out it was so unique at the time. I don't think I had ever laughed harder at a movie. And Young Frankenstein!! Like that sort of humor

# 8 01-09-2008 , 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
This looks good, though the van could use a little "Hey! Pot heads drive this van" type scruff.

- Genny
# 9 01-09-2008 , 01:57 AM
Subscriber
HaHaHa!! Yes GecT that is true. But liked a bumper sticker I saw back then when all of the freaks loved driving vans. It said "If you think this is funny, where is your daughter tonight?" HaHaHa!!

# 10 26-09-2008 , 02:25 PM
nice image ... but ithink you need an occlusion pass in order to give the hall image a more sense of contrast between colors and shadows

You Deserve
# 11 26-09-2008 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
Thank you zico_samagoria. Glad you liked it. And I do appreciate your thoughts. But it is a final image that I finished some time ago for the monthly project. I will remember your suggestions for next time!!