Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-10-2012 , 09:46 PM

Problems; Creating "fog" from blower

Hello,

I'm trying to re-create the effect of an humidifier device blowing out "fog" (see examples below).

I have little experience with maya dynamics and I have to achieve to following.

-(wispy) smoke fluids "sprayed" upwards out a tube.
- the fog has to drop to the ground (like dry ice)

The closets result I got was with the methods:
1) emitter inside a tube closed at the bottem. negative buoyancy combined with pressure/threshold.
2) emitter with positive buoyancy, combined with a gravity field to pull the smoke down.

But I can't get a good result, and I'm sure there's a better way to achieve this effect.
The big problem is that after circa 300 frames, fluids particles appear from nowhere and fill up the container completely (with boundries set to none). Below are screen shots of the problem.

Any suggestions are welkom!
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-10-2012 , 07:54 AM
The thin red line
Change the emitter to directional that should give you that curve comming out of the nozal...........dave

# 3 11-10-2012 , 09:23 AM
Thanks for your reply. When I try to change the fluid emitter to directional,
it gives this error message: // Error: Emitter type 'Directional' not supported for fluid emitters...

# 4 11-10-2012 , 09:35 AM
The thin red line
Sorry did not think you where using fluid should have gest as they are staying in the box,I would use particals for some thing as simple as this should be faster as well..................dave

# 5 11-10-2012 , 11:15 AM
That might me a good option. I'm getting the impression that fluids, although realistic, are very difficult to control/modify directions etc.
I'll give it a try,
since I'm new to dynamics I'm only wondering if particles can give the same realistic "wispy" smoke effect? Cheers

# 6 11-10-2012 , 12:01 PM
The thin red line
You should be able to, you will find it hard to get to your last render but that did not look like your reference shot. If you get stuck just post again..............dave

# 7 11-10-2012 , 05:33 PM
The thin red line
I think I will have to take it back Im not getting good results with particals, what you can do with you fluid is use a uniform field around the nozal cylinder should work. you have to change the direction of the field in the direction attribute..............dave

# 8 12-10-2012 , 03:48 PM
I've had some trouble as well getting the particles to behave in this certain way.
I'll give it a go with fluids again then, and adding an uniform field.
Thanks.