Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 22-09-2011 , 06:39 PM
please upload a step by step hand and facial modeling in maya..for beginners.

# 47 22-09-2011 , 07:07 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
ysangita

The GI tutorial and the chef ramsay tutorials cover this. Also Simply Maya has a YouTube account and there is a free hand tutorial on there

Jay

# 48 22-09-2011 , 07:07 PM
Lifetime Member
I would like to see a tutorial that goes over the basics of modeling for animation. I have seen several tutorials on modeling but very rarely does anyone discuss topology in reference to animating and why it is so important to have proper edge flow. Then of course any tutorials on rigging and animation are always very much appreciated.

# 49 22-09-2011 , 07:11 PM
joverall22

The current tutorial, Surfing with the Alien is covering modelling, texturing and rigging, with animation in mind. The modelling part covers good edge loops, making the model either poseable or rig ready for animation. I am currently hard at work on the rigging volume which will be ready very soon

Jay

# 50 22-09-2011 , 09:12 PM
The thin red line
Will that be compatible with maya 2009 Jay as I did say to Ben I would try to learn rigging next.............dave

# 51 22-09-2011 , 09:26 PM
Hey Dave

well I havent done anything fancy so I would say yes you'll be fine. Ive kept it as user friendly and exciting (as rigging goes) as possible without being mind numbing and boring and havent used any of the 2011 'extras' that were introduced into the software. We are going the distance on it so hopefully it will make for a nice tute and round off the 'Alien' tute series nicely. Shouldnt be too long until its done, I reckon in the next week or so....so hang in there!!

Jay

# 52 23-09-2011 , 10:46 PM
Lifetime Member
I was wondering if the alien tutorials would cover that Thanks Jay.

# 53 30-09-2011 , 06:28 PM
Hey Dave,

I'd love to see a tutorial covering all the normal render passes for example ambient (even though there is already one) , beauty, reflections, shadows and dof (particularly this one) . (Or any other industry standard passes iv'e missed out)
And then perhaps how to combine them in Photoshop!

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,

# 54 01-10-2011 , 09:54 AM
The Nurb Herd
They wouldn't be combined in Photoshop in the industry. You would use nuke. There are also a few other passes I would say are becoming pretty standard. The normal, reference position and just position too. These are very useful for relighting in nuke. something else that is fun is breaking the beauty/primary into multiple light passes and transmission colour. That gives you control of each light, so you could grade them and whatever after they have been rendered. basically the more control the better in my opinion. However a 2d operator might get a bit annoyed if you give them too much work. user added image

# 55 01-10-2011 , 09:04 PM
Dom

I think he just wants to know how to comp them in Photoshop.

If you were doing animation for film tv etc then yes you would use Nuke or some other high end comp software. But for stills for ads or even magazines would be photoshop most of the time as that would be more justified in other media industries - I would even go as far as to suggest they would AfterEffects too. Horses for courses and all that.....

Jay

# 56 01-10-2011 , 09:54 PM
The Nurb Herd

Dom

I think he just wants to know how to comp them in Photoshop.

Ah, my bad.

After effects i get... not a fan tho. user added image

# 57 01-10-2011 , 10:13 PM
Administrator

I'd love to see a tutorial covering all the normal render passes for example ambient (even though there is already one) , beauty, reflections, shadows and dof (particularly this one) .

We have a tutorial on that topic called render layers in production, it's by Izzy who works in broadcast and it's really good for getting an insight into post work. It was done in Maya 8.5 so a few buttons have been moved but I followed it just fine in 2011, it also uses After Effects but it demonstrates the principle so any post app works.

The final part of this tutorial covers zdepth pass for dof in post specifically as well.

For relight in Nuke that honestdom mentioned have a look at this, it's very impressive, I think they create magic at the foundry user added image

Relight for Nuke - A quick tour (HQ) - YouTube

# 58 02-10-2011 , 10:24 AM
Hey Dom

Yeah I think most guys n gals in the industry have a phobia of it LOL

J

# 59 02-10-2011 , 12:46 PM
Acid44
I know there's tons of tutorials for cars, and no shortage of vehicle modelers in the industry, but I'd personally like to see a tutorial for vehicle modeling for games. Just like, front bumper, fender, hood, and maybe windscreen. Mainly to show the work flow, like how you would bevel the edges, keep a clean flow, work with the normals, all that stuff.

# 60 03-10-2011 , 03:03 PM
Thank-you nova thats what i was looking for, i do a lot of effects in after effects but now iv'e got to the point where I want to merge maya and after effects together i'll be sure to purchase it and get cracking!