Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-07-2004 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber

Really Really Stupid Question

Okay I am just starting with Maya and am trying to follow a tutorial in a book, it says make a bunch of cubes and texture them with a phong material..

Now I have a bunch of nurbs cubes but when I select all of them and assign a material it ends up assigning them to one face of a single cube.. is there a way to do this to multiple nurbs at once, or do I need to use polygon cubes which I am trying next. Just wanted to post this in case I don't figure it out right away..

Thanks
A R G G G G !

# 2 24-07-2004 , 08:26 PM
select all of the cubes then Group them (ctrl g). Select the group (Just selet one of the cubes then hit the Arrow Up key)

That will highlight the group. then assign the phong shader.

# 3 24-07-2004 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, plus I found out that when I select away from any of the objects in the group, right click and assign materials then it does them all, as opposed to if I am over one of the group members and do it, it ends up only having that one selected.. roge..

# 4 24-07-2004 , 09:57 PM
The Maya Mountain
I wouldn't use nurbs cubes. As you found out, they are actually comprised of 6 nurbs planes oriented into a cube and aren't 1 object. That's why only one side got applied.

using a polygon cube gives you a single shape.

Otherwise, select one of the nurbs cube sides and press the up key to go up the hierarchy to select the entire cube.

# 5 25-07-2004 , 04:19 AM
Another way if you want to use NURBS but still have it be a single object is to use the EP or CV curve tool set to 1 linear. Draw the profile of the cube around the y-axis (i.e., to one side of the y-axis, draw a linear "C" shape.) Select the profile, and do a "revolve" using 4 segments and linear.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."