Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-12-2004 , 02:17 AM

NURBS to POLYGONS

Hello Everybody,

I just finished the "Cartoon Dog" tutorial wich I found very usefull and clear. Nevertheless, I spent too much time fixing problems when converting NURBS to POLYGONS.

My question is:

is it really necessary to convert NURBS to POLYS? What are the advantages of doing so?

Thank you

Eduardo

# 2 15-12-2004 , 04:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
It's just one method of doing things that Kurt likes. user added image I personally start and stick with polygons throughout. It's all up to your personal preference.

# 3 15-12-2004 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
When you convert to polys and then later on to sub-d's, you can have the dog as one mesh instead of a lot of separate cylinders and other primitives.

You can also stitch nurbs surfaces together I think, but Sub-d's are smoothed like nurbs, and you can add lots of detail and still have a somewhat low poly mesh, by using the sub-d's sublevels...

# 4 16-12-2004 , 02:15 AM
Well, thank you very much!